TNT and Cross-plataform...
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-17-2002 00:10

Posted by:
David Martinez

Click Here to Email David Martinez   Find more posts by David Martinez

TNT is a very cool tool for develop 2D games but only in Mac...will is possible make in the future "runables" games in Windows and Linux?

04-17-2002 09:01

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Cross Platform

We do have every intention of making TNT Basic cross platform.

We're currently planning on bringing it to Windows, at first this will just be building finished applications, this is fairly high on our to do list so we're hoping to get this in soon. Once that's done we'll work on porting the actualy development environment, Hieroglyph.

We'd not currently thought of bringing TNT Basic to Linux but I suppose it would be a good idea because it can only increase potential markets for anything made with TNT Basic. I think this will only happen once Windows support is in though.

Thanks,
John

04-17-2002 19:38

Posted by:
James Rhodes

Click Here to Email James Rhodes   Find more posts by James Rhodes

addition of Windows

Owwwwhh... Now I have to redo my site a bit, after you implement that. :(

04-18-2002 07:17

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Don't worry!

I'm afraid it's not going to be any time soon - it's more a long term goal. We have plenty to do on the mac side of things at the moment!

Thanks

Mark

04-18-2002 08:10

Posted by:
Franz

Find more posts by Franz

I think that it's GREAT NEWS! ;-)

I think that it's GREAT NEWS! ;-)

Mac will always be MY computer of choice,
but it'd be great to be able to share games with the
many (unfortunate) gamers who have only PC's. ;-)

Cross-platformability is one of Mac's biggest assets.

05-17-2002 04:54

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I say keep the building apps Mac only, but allow people to create Windows games. But don't port TNT Basic to Windows. That way Windows users see the cool games Mac users can make. And get jealous. Would help us Mac users get a larger userbase..

05-18-2002 04:13

Posted by:
Chris

Find more posts by Chris

Reality

Whatever makes you guys money and keeps this thing going... that's my read on it.

05-18-2002 19:57

Posted by:
Douglas O'Brien

Find more posts by Douglas O'Brien

As for the guy that said don't let Windows users be able to program, I don't neccessarily agree. First of all, we don't have any cool games to make them jealous right now, just the ability to make them with TNT. Although, the ability to give them built games is probably easier to program and should come first.

And, if Windows users could program then there would be more overall activity (there isn't much right now).

If it came out for Windows, make sure to keep all the syntax and everything the exact same so its irrelevant which platform people use when they post comments or share code.

For now though, I deffinately agree with just working on Mac asspects of TNT.

05-19-2002 08:57

Posted by:
ERaZer

Find more posts by ERaZer

I agree with Douglas, the more users the better and I dont care which OS they use...

04-04-2003 03:04

Posted by:
mtnbording

Click Here to Email mtnbording   Find more posts by mtnbording

too bad

As of right now, Windows has an EASIER programming job. In fact they don't even have to program. I made many great games on this free app. It's all visual, no programming required.

http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/

I'm not saying TNT is a bad program, I'm just saying Windows is a step ahead of making it as easy as possible.

04-04-2003 10:30

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Yeah, but with TNT you learn to program! And that is really cool, you get into a different, more precise algorithmical logic that will blow your mind forever! After a while you will enjoy "programming" as much (or more) than "making games"...

04-08-2003 06:47

Posted by:
Holmes

Click Here to Email Holmes   Find more posts by Holmes

That would be so cool to release Raptor on the window's side. My friends would be stoked, and I could get waaaay more downloads.

08-01-2003 04:22

Posted by:
Gyptal IV

Click Here to Email Gyptal IV   Find more posts by Gyptal IV

First, to the noble sir that said windoze was more advanced than the mac comunity, what about AmbrosiaSW and beenox's Coldstone?? (which's only drawback is it's inability to make net games)...

and now, making TNT cross platform would be really great, specially for net games, e.j.: i am the only one with a mac among mein friends

so, keep on with the good stuff people!

08-01-2003 04:37

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Doug,

Um, there are cool games made in TNT Basic. Look at...say...everything from DanLab games.

08-07-2003 23:36

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

quote:
We'd not currently thought of bringing TNT Basic to Linux but I suppose it would be a good idea because it can only increase potential markets for anything made with TNT Basic. I think this will only happen once Windows support is in though.

On the other hand, Linux users are not accustomed to paying for software.

11-01-2003 22:16

Posted by:
Phil

Find more posts by Phil

quote:
On the other hand, Linux users are not accustomed to paying for software.

Most of the Windows folks I know aren't accustomed to paying for software either! ;')

Seriously, I think the Linux gaming crowd might be a smaller market, but I wouldn't discount them as the sort who won't pay for things of value.

But, I think they are often a Mac or Windows user as well (or in my case, all three), so offering TNT on Win and Mac would probably cover nearly all the users out there except for the few diehards.

Phil

11-03-2003 19:47

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I personally would like TNT Basic to run on both Windows and Linux, but realistically speaking, it takes all my spare time to maintain and work on the Mac version. John and I simply don't have the time to produce a port of TNT Basic at this time.

Cheers,

Mark

11-03-2003 20:04

Posted by:
buddy

Click Here to Email buddy   Find more posts by buddy

TNT Basic is great to have for the Mac.

GameMaker for Windows fills a similar niche at a similar price, so if game developers at this level want to do Windows (as I do...) it seems prudent to try GameMaker rather than open a huge can of worms trying to make TNT Basic do Windows.

My 2 cents