< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-24-2012 23:32

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hi all,

I've just uploaded TNT Basic 1.40, which is a beta release which is compatible with OS X Lion. It is also Intel native (at last!).

Here are the release notes:

Welcome to TNT Basic 1.40 for Intel (Beta)

This is an updated version of TNT Basic 1.31 which has been compiled for Intel and had various OS 8/9 crusty bits removed. It is compatible with OS X Lion, as well as earlier versions of OS X. It is not compatible with PowerPC Macs.

Previous versions of TNT Basic were compiled for PowerPC, and emulated using Rosetta under Intel OS X. This support was finally dropped with OS X Lion, meaning TNT Basic no longer ran. This release remedies that.

This release only includes TNT Basic itself, and not Hieroglyph, so I'm afraid you currently have no editor when running under Lion. I'm going to look at porting Hieroglyph to Intel next.

This version of TB should be 100% compatible with TNT Basic 1.31. Please try all your old programs and report any problems you find either on the TNT Basic website forums (www.tntbasic.com) or email me at mark@tntbasic.com .

The source code for TNT Basic 1.40 will be made available soon.

----------

Download here: http://www.tntbasic.com/download/TNT_Basic_1.40_Lion_Beta.zip

I look forward to receiving any feedback you guys have! Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Cheers,

Mark

01-26-2012 03:13

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Hi Mark - tnt loaded on my Snow Leopard Machine no probs.

but wouldn't open on my Leopard Machine:

Process: TNT Basic [153]
Path: /Users/swag/Desktop/TNT_Basic_1/TNT Basic.app/Contents/MacOS/TNT Basic
Identifier: com.tntbasic.tb
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [105]

Interval Since Last Report: 454 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3

Date/Time: 2012-01-25 20:11:07.159 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: C9F2F412-35E8-43FC-9B33-4B4839D446B5

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
unknown required load command 0x80000022

01-26-2012 17:41

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Thanks for the info. I've got a lead on that problem and should be able to fix it. I might send you a custom build in a few days if that's ok, as I don't have access to leopard anymore.

Does it run your projects ok under snow leopard? Danny reported problems with tbproj files, but resource files were ok.

Cheers

Mark

01-26-2012 21:49

Posted by:
swagIT

No Mark - it will launch but it won't run the .tbproj files.

Lion is fine though.....

For legacy software reasons I still run Snow Leopard on my main machine.
I wouldn't lose sleep over Leopard and Snow Leopard issues unless it is a simple fix.
We are looking to the future after all.

cheers

-b-

01-27-2012 09:06

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

How about the examples Barry?

The "tbproj" projects didn't work for me either mate. I got no errors, warnings or other messages. It looked (and sounded) as though it loaded the file (though don't quote me) and then just sat there. There was also no change in the status of 'Control' menu items either.

Can you run the examples? They, and my old rsrc projects, worked fine on my box (10.7.2).

An interesting point, I deleted TNT Basic from my box after finding out about the Lion / Rosetta thing, and after dropping 1.4 into Apps the rsrc files show in Finder as "TNT Basic Project" files and open on double click. The tbproj stuff comes up as just "package" and there is no app association. I don't get TNT Project icons on either file type, might try zapping LaunchServices and see if this does anything... I've edited the tbproj extension into the info.plist, previously there was only "rsrc" and "basc" (thought that was naughty nighties?) for the extensions, and "rsrc" and "TEXT" for OS Types.

Didn't make a blind bit of difference, just thought I'd mention it! 8)

Danny (nod the mod)

01-27-2012 17:47

Posted by:
swagIT

Hey Danny

You are right - I can run any .rsrc I could find without any problems on Snow Leopard. It is just the .tbproj that won't open.

Still won't launch on Leopard.

Point of Interest:
10.6 and 10.5 still represent the majority of mac users (just a bit over half) compared to Lion.

02-14-2012 22:44

Posted by:
Mark Tully

TB 1.41 released

I've just uploaded TB 1.41. It contains the following bug fixes:

* .tbproj files now work
* Should now load on OS X 10.5 Leopard

Please let me know if find either of the above to be untruths - or indeed if you find any other problems.

Cheers,

Mark

02-15-2012 08:57

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Frame Rates?

Morning Guys, I can confirm that this runs all the stuff I've thrown at it, both rsrc and tbproj.

There seems to be an issue with either sound or bitwise ops (I can't narrow it down further as my sound placement code uses bit shift to set the panning - screen width 800px). This is the error I got:

[code]
*** Runtime exception caught ***
Line# : 407
Code : play sound 0, bit shift(screenX, -3), myVolume, 1
Error : -206
[/code]

Can someone also take a look and provide feedback on frame rates. I noticed a serious speed issue with, well, pretty much everything actually. This happens with sprites and vector graphics. My code was optimised pretty heavily for tb 1.3 though, and as I can't get back in to try a hack on 1.41 I'd like to hear if anyone else has speed issues.

Generally speaking it's getting there, just a few tweaks needed :o)

Mark: I can provide code if you need it.

Danny (nod the mod)

02-15-2012 22:33

Posted by:
swagIT

Hey Danny - I do believe it is sound - I sent Mark my error

*** Runtime exception caught ***
Line# : 33
Code : play sound 007
Error : -206

Same type of error on 3 .tbproj files.

.rsrc files run fine but some sounds don't play....

barry

02-16-2012 08:55

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Yeah, My Bad...

Didn't think to Google the error code before posting - Bad Format from the sound manager. Did you get sound on v1.4? I have no rsrc files with sound, so didn't notice.

How was your speed?

Danny (nod the mod)

02-16-2012 13:40

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Oh... BTW Barry

Was that report from Lion or Snow Leopard?

Do you get the same results on both OS's?

Danny (nod the mod)

02-17-2012 02:52

Posted by:
swagIT

Hi Danny - Report was from Leopard and Snow Leopard.

.tbproj files had the same error on both systems.

.rsrc files ran perfectly (sound-wise and otherwise) on Snow Leopard

.rsrc files on Leopard would run fine except SOME sounds wouldn't play (but there wasn't an error!?) yet the program would still run fine otherwise.

I'm leaving Lion to you =)

I didn't notice any speed issues at all.

Do you want me to check the frame rate?

cheers,

barry

02-17-2012 10:40

Posted by:
allnodcoms

If you could take a look mate...

I'm pretty sure you'll see everything running at 60fps - regardless of what you got previously. I did :o)

Danny (nod the mod)

02-17-2012 19:01

Posted by:
swagIT

Well on Leopard fps ran between 46 and 60 dropping to 46 when lots of animation was happening....I bet on a newer machine It would hit 60 steadily

=)

-b-

02-17-2012 19:03

Posted by:
swagIT

Ooops - I had the fps set too 60 in that game....

I ran another file and hit 188 fps woohoooooooooo!

-b-

02-17-2012 19:38

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Ooh Er...

Way to go Barry! ;o)

Danny (nod the mod)

03-06-2012 10:22

Posted by:
Maxime

Find more posts by Maxime

Hourra !

I just discovered you released a Lion version of TNT to run on my new iMac Intel Lion.
Tried to run my Patiences game. The old App itself does not work evidently. But opening the Code file runs the App directly, under TNT basic. That gives me a great dose of oxygen, because my trials with Objective-C were completely discouraging !
Evidently, as you said, it is not possible to edit the code... I will try afternoon to open it with some editor, TextEdit, OOffice...
Thanks for you continued job, and hope you will some day release a Hyeroglyph version for LION, because programming them is for me a great part of the pleasure of games !
@+

03-06-2012 12:44

Posted by:
Maxime

Could not succed in editing code. I suppose it is stored in the Data Fork, all usable softs open an empty window... ResEdit could work, but does not run on Lion, so, I just wait for your skill in Hyeroglyph building !
Thanks, anyway.

03-06-2012 16:16

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Hi Maxime...

I've never tried it, but you can edit the .tbproj files without Hieroglyph. Right click on the file and select "Show package contents", your source code is in the Basc directory and it's just plain text... You can't edit the resource projects that way, or or any other way that I've found.
Top answer for this was running ResEdit on SheepShaver for Windoze under Bootcamp or parallels! Nasty, but probably quicker than the original PPC version ;o)

If you want to give it a go though, mail me (link to the left). I have a couple of old Macs knocking around (oldest is a UMAX running System 7!) My iBook G3 has TNT on it, I could save your files out as tbroj and mail them back to you (once I have your address).

Mark is looking to get Hieroglyph running under Lion, but as he says himself this is a long way off at the moment. A lot has changed under the hood over the last few OS updates and it's going to be a complete rewrite.

Keep checking back here though, it's an interesting time for TNT in general, and there are going to be a few new things floating around pretty soon ;o)

Watch this space...

Danny (nod the mod)

EDIT: RezKnife Cocoa handles resource files on Lion. It's not pretty but it works. You'd have to copy the content out into TextEdit and then paste it back again once edited, unless you read fluent HEX

03-06-2012 17:54

Posted by:
Maxime

Thanks
I did not understand the editing process : as soon as I double click on the file the app runs and I have no access to anything except Help.
But I still own my old Mac if I want to edit, with any facilities.
And I have an external disk to transfer by, because it is not possible apparently to use Ethernet except if you put the old Mac in external disk mode which makes things rather intricate.

Else, for info, my frame rate climbs to 58-59 on my iMac (2,5 GHz Intel Core 5, OSX 10.7.3, Ram 4 Go DDR3) when I move one or several cards. And the initial loading of cards figures is almost immediate ( < 1 s instead of 9 s+), which makes a difference !

03-07-2012 08:18

Posted by:
Maxime

Edit TNT

Sorry, I think mouse's right button is the equivalent of Control/Click. I have a menu, but nothing like "show package contents", even french translated.
But, as I said, my good old Mac is still alive !

03-08-2012 10:35

Posted by:
allnodcoms

You only get "Show Package Contents" on .tbproj

You won't see the package content on the resource files Maxime. I'd stick with your old Mac until Mark can sort the editor for Lion ;o)

Danny (nod the mod)

03-09-2012 05:44

Posted by:
Maxime

Editing

Sad, Danny, but that's what I will do. That is the case with many of my files (AppleWorks for instance) which are useless on the Intel Macs. So, I think I will keep my old eMac for centuries, but Apple rather disappointed me with that, what I discovered after buying the iMac (my fault, too nave ?).

I started enlarging cards and window to get profit of my larger display. And modifying cards so the color (Spade, Hearts...) stays visible with less vertical space between cards. My cards were a bit small because I can have long rows in some patiences, and bottom cards disappeared !

I keep my hope in Mark , God bless his name.

03-09-2012 18:30

Posted by:
swagIT

I agree - God Bless Mark!

03-10-2012 09:21

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Amen Brothers... ;o)

Danny (nod the mod)

03-25-2012 18:40

Posted by:
Connors

Find more posts by Connors

Can't wait to use TNTBasic again!

Since my old eMac died I haven't been able to do anything with the projects I started.
I take it all this can do at the moment is run games from the project files? It wasn't all that clear how we can use it at the moment.

03-26-2012 08:17

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Yup, just the runner engine at present...

Hi Connors, you just download the update and replace your existing copy. This will let you run your current projects, but not create any new ones... YET!

There's some pretty exciting stuff in the pipeline, we're working on a few bits and pieces over here - but I'll let Mark tell you all about this...

Watch this space!

Danny (nod the mod)

04-01-2012 07:46

Posted by:
Maxime

New TNT

Good news, Alinodcom !
Connors, I succeeded to run things with the new TNT for Lion, after just downloading it.
Special use : it does NOT runs Apps already built. But it runs the App of your CODE directly when you double click on the code file (after downloading the new TNT, evidently)...
I hope many users will surface to motivate and thank the "builders"...
Maxime

04-07-2012 20:34

Posted by:
Mark Tully

TB 1.42 released

I've just release TNT Basic 1.42 and pushed its source to github. It contains the following fix:

* Sounds now load and play correctly under Intel when using the .tbproj (aka 'bundle') project file format

Please let me know if you have any trouble. You can report bugs via the git hub issue tracker.

Cheers,

Mark

08-13-2012 05:53

Posted by:
Connors

Find more posts by Connors

source code

It's great to hear that this isn't completely dead yet, it really is. I've been wanting to try the beta for a while but sadly I don't know what to do with the source code...
But mostly I'm here to cheer you on since this is one of the easiest to use and useful tools I've ever found for making homebrew games. Also I never did finish my Light Maze game.