< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-18-2011 22:29

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hi all, remember me? :)

As per Danny's post recently, TNT Basic is known not to work on OS X Lion. I am pleased to announce that I have an update in progress which will remedy this.

Those of you who have followed TNT Basic's development will know that I left the project over 5 years ago shortly after I open sourced it - so why the return? My main motivation is I have a renewed desire to help kids (including big kids) learn to make games. I think TNT Basic is still a good tool to do this, and so it makes sense for me to breathe some life into it again.

I have some plans for TNT Basic, some are vague, some are more concrete. Of the concrete, is a desire to make it cross platform, principally to support the new Rasperry Pi - the new supercheap computer that is aimed at educating kids. Long term, it is inevitable that a Windows version will be a by product of this process.

For now, I am focussing on getting the TNT Basic interpreter running on Intel OS X. If you use Twitter, you can follow my progress at @tnt_basic

I'll be checking in on the boards a little more regularly now, so feel free to post any questions or comments you have. I'm also interested in any comments you have on what TNT Basic's strengths and weaknesses are as a tool for learning to make games, and also what features from other similar tools you particularly like.

Cheers, and see you around,

Mark

12-19-2011 23:20

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

I think a mail shot is in order here mate...

Forums have been pretty quiet for a while now, so might be a good idea to mail shot the faithful... They've stuck with us for a good few years (and given me something to do between work and Facebook!), and I know there are a couple of guys out there that will be really pleased to hear this.

I could mail them, but I think this would be better coming from you mate ;o)

[can I tell people that I'm re-designing the web site now?]

Danny (nod the mod)

12-20-2011 00:41

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Hi Mark - welcome back!

This news falls into the category "Best Christmas Gift Ever!"

Since upgrading to Lion I have bemoaned having to part with TNT.

To me TNT was/is the perfect tool for rapid game development.

My favourite features are:

MapEditor
Soundeditor
SpriteEditor

The way TNT works with assets was great. I found it invaluable to basically attach procedures to Sprite ID's and maptile ID's based on collisions - kinda like "Objects" in a way...

Obviously I would love to see something that would compile in accordance with Apple's Guidelines for submission the the App store - I can't see "Sandboxing' issues coming in to play too much for simple games...

Being able to jump to specific procedures in hieroglyph made editing a game with over 14 000 lines of code fairly simple.

In terms of features to add: I do like the ability to design 'modules' and such which can be re-used for different projects.

Also interaction with Interface Builder or the equivalent such as you see in RealStudio is a real plus, mac standard controls, windows, buttons, etc.....
would be lovely.

I'll put my thinking cap on and maybe fire up an old machine running tiger to look back in a bit more depth...

Anyways - welcome back!

barry

01-19-2012 22:56

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Nearing a milestone

Hi all,

Just a quick update for those who aren't following the tnt_basic twitter feed.

TNT Basic itself is now running pretty nicely on Intel. All the examples I can find seem to work perfectly, and I should be able to release it as a beta soon for people to give feedback and bug reports on. Note though, that this is just TNT Basic, not Hieroglpyh.

Once Intel TNT Basic is out there in beta, I'll be looking at what it will take to drag Hieroglyph into Intel land.

Cheers,

Mark

01-20-2012 00:28

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

That's wonderful news, Mark. I'm eager to try out the new Hieroglyph when it's available.

01-24-2012 23:33

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Released - see thread http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21166