Compatibility with Mac OS X Lion?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

09-10-2011 01:52

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Now that Apple is selling Mac OS X 10.7 [Lion] in its App Store, is it known whether TNT Basic will be compatible with Lion? I'm still running OS X 10.6 [Snow Leopard] on my Mac mini, and I understand that Apple is no longer supporting Rosetta. I don't want to upgrade to Lion if it means I can't use TNT Basic anymore.

09-11-2011 19:55

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

It don't work James...

No, TNT doesn't work with Lion. I know, I've upgraded my iMac...

There was never a version compiled for Intel chipsets, everything up to now ran under emulation (as you said - Rosetta). This emulation has been dropped in the latest version of the OS.

You could try this if you've got enough space.

'Till next time...

Danny (nod the mod)

12-14-2011 01:20

Posted by:
Connors

Find more posts by Connors

My eMac Died

I've been upset because not only is all of my TNTBasic stuff locked in a broken computer, but even an older build of Light Maze I saved is useless since TNT won't run on 10.7!

...I really wish someone could find a way to make an updated version. I bet it would even attract some new users. o_o Any thoughts guys?

12-14-2011 09:15

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Hay Connors...

Sorry to hear that mate - never good when an old box goes south.

TNT in its current form is 'Highly' unlikely to see the light of day on an intel only setup, various people (yours truly and Mark, the original developer, included) have tried and failed on this one.
There is too much dependancy on pre-intel libraries to hack together a workable fix, so an Xcode version would be, pretty much, a complete rewrite. To give you some kind of idea how long this would take as a "one man band", I got a couple of years into writing TNT2, and had a large part of the engine finalised, a part working runtime interpreter and some basics sorted for the code editor at least. This just left me the graphics and map editors, BC compiler for stand alone builds and a few other bits and pieces before going to test / debug versions... As you can see, still a long way to go, especially when TNT is not the 9-5.

Not a lot of help to you I know, but just thought I'd let you know what's involved.
There could be several answers to your immediate problem. The first thing I'd try is an external drive casing. Whip the HD out the defunct Mac (assuming it's not the HD that is the problem of course), throw it into an external case and try to fire it from your newer Mac. Plug it in and hold ALT as the Mac boots - it should show up as a boot disk (as long as it's not too old!). If it doesn't show as a bootable drive you should be able to drag files off of it in Finder. You could create a separate partition on your new Mac and install an older version of the OS onto this.

Will TNT ever see an intel release? I seriously doubt it: it's a shame but I just don't see anyone having the time or the inclination to implement it.
Will TNT2 ever hit the shelves? I hope so - I'd hate to think I spent all that time on something that would be dead in the water from day 1, but things will have to seriously change in order for me to have the time to finish it...

Apple dropping Rosetta didn't help our cause - but we lived on for five years after the intel move, so didn't do that bad.

If anything interesting happens it'll be posted here...

'Till next time...

Danny
(nod the mod)

12-14-2011 14:11

Posted by:
Gandolf

Find more posts by Gandolf

What language are you creating Tnt 2 in?

I happen to be an Obj-C wizard...

12-17-2011 12:54

Posted by:
allnodcoms

FORTRAN...

I like a challenge! ;o)

Danny (nod the mod)

12-17-2011 13:11

Posted by:
allnodcoms

OK, Seriously...

The main engine for the TNT2 project was written in good, old fashioned ANSI C - real K&R stuff. There is a reason (beyond just me being old) for this. When you are dealing with a list of sequential instructions, I think it is easier to step through them one at a time with a main(). I like to write code in the same way the processor executes it, it's a throwback to my assembler days. I know that an 'object' is just a block of memory, and I like to treat it as such, so I use typedef and struct a lot. It may seem real old school now, but if you ever do any assembler you will see why I prefer to hard code it. I use a main stack and pseudo registers for control flow, and straight C is the best there is for this sort of hack. I also dislike the bloat and additional baggage that comes with the whole OO thing. I am a true fossil...

The editor was written in REALbasic, which may seem a bit odd after the 'C' comment, but I like to use it to prototype stuff quickly. I find it easier to be able to change a variable, or the position of a UI component, and hit the 'RUN' button to see what happens straight away, rather than go through a compile stage. I also used RB for my 'proof of concept' - testing out my logic before I commit to writing 'real code'.

Bizarrely enough, REALbasic also has issues running on Lion (or my copy of it anyway). Everything works, but I get no text - anywhere! That's pretty poor when you're writing a source code editor, kind of defeats the object somewhat.

Danny (nod the mod)

12-18-2011 04:17

Posted by:
Gandolf

How strange.
Is upgrading RB free? Cause I heard the latest version had some Cocoa fixes and features added.

12-18-2011 04:20

Posted by:
Gandolf

Ah by the way, I really like programming in plain C too. Except I use an Obj-C visual wrapper with a C core engine for speed. It's really nice how they work together. Especially integrated into the Xcode IDE with a slick visual editor like Interface Builder. It's like having your cake and eating it too.

12-18-2011 13:22

Posted by:
allnodcoms

"Is upgrading RB free?"

If you have a legit copy then it probably is... ;o)

[ you never saw me... I was never really here ]

Danny (nod the mod)