RPG In Progress
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-28-2011 00:38

Posted by:
Connors

Find more posts by Connors

I'm working on an RPG project. It's my first RPG so it will likely be somewhat simplistic, but it's also not my first game or my first time using TNT.
So far I've made 3 rooms and gotten collisions to work by making walls inside of a "polygon", so I can more easily use different tile sets. The only problem is making tiles' pictures change. I might just use sprites for tiles that change (chests, doors...).

I have one important question before I get too far into it:
How should I store all this data? I want to have dialogue, chests, items, what monsters you will randomly see, basically there's a lot of variables for a lot of rooms. How would you recommend I set it up? I'm mostly just unsure how to set up the save files, because the data list will get so long.

04-29-2011 11:35

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

RPGs are a bit of a pet project of mine...

When you start talking about RPGs, you're going to be talking a lot of data.

Storing the sort of data you are talking about, conversations, encounter charts and so on, in the data of your program will get very ugly very quickly. The only real effective way to farm this sort of thing out is to use files. If you play, or better still Ref (or DM) 'Real RPGs' then you'll have a bit of a head start in this. Think of a character sheet, you can hold the main PC's (Player Character's) data in an array, but there's no way you could store the data for all your NPC's (non player characters) in that same array. You would declare a new NPC array, and pull data in from a file when you enter an area occupied by those NPC's. The same thing for objects (pick ups and so on).
The best analogy I can think of is, again, a 'Real, pencil and paper RPG'. Try to make your game 'Application' the Rule Book that contains the rules, combat tables and so. Your Scenario / Campaign should be farmed out to a separate data file. Basically, generic stuff goes in the app, specifics go into data. You will also probably find it easier to write a separate app to create the data files, I've done this sort of game a couple of times now (first time was back in 1988), and it's the approach I've used both times.

Fundamentally then, you need to decide what data you need to hold, then generate a 'data format' to hold that information in a way you can access quickly and reliably. Unfortunately, each RPG is different, and the data requirements are unique to that game, so without knowing exactly, and I mean 'Exactly', what your game needs it's hard to give much more specific advice.

RPGs are hard work, but they can be a lot of fun. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Danny (nod the mod)

04-30-2011 00:36

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Hi Connors,

I did an RPG in TNTbasic a while back.

You can download it here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25212/dinky-dungeon

Take a quick look and see if it is the sort of thing you mean.....

I worked out some ways of avoiding having tons of data files to read and write....

cheers,

barry

04-30-2011 01:56

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Talk to Barry...

He Da Man... ;o)

Danny (nod the mod)