Tank Arcade Game
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

08-31-2010 23:11

Posted by:
Yakkers

Find more posts by Yakkers

Now that I have some comprehension of how to handle multiple bullets, enemies, powerups, etc. I'm starting to expand my first little experiment into a full game.

You play as a tank moved by WASD, and fire in any of eight directions by holding the arrow keys.

I plan to design it around a survival concept, in which more enemy tanks spawn as the game progresses, and their health and damage will also raise gradually, with the ultimate goal being a high score.

I'm not sure about a name yet, I'm thinking TNTTanks (not sure how to go about the capitalization for that) based on the idea that it will be open source and heavily commented as an example to help other aspiring TNT users.

08-31-2010 23:59

Posted by:
JHVipond

Find more posts by JHVipond

Is your project going to be at all like the tank game in Tron?

09-01-2010 03:20

Posted by:
Yakkers

I've never played it, so I couldn't really tell you. Here's a screenshot, tell me if it looks similar.

Mine doesn't have any paths, just an open arena. Other than that, it does look pretty similar.

Also shooting in all 8 directions is now implemented.

09-05-2010 23:36

Posted by:
Yakkers

The system for spawning and keeping track of enemies is in place, but they're not very smart at the moment. They tend to run over eachother a lot. I was thinking of having them drive away from eachother for a few frames any time two came into contact, but I'm pretty sure if I did that they'd easily turn into a twitchy clump if more than 2 or 3 of them came together.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20siwpg.png
Health bar is also done, although nothing can hurt you yet.

09-07-2010 20:22

Posted by:
Yakkers

Quick question - is there a way to turn off anti-aliasing, for when sprites are rotated?

11-10-2010 21:13

Posted by:
Yakkers

Can somebody explain to me in a little more detail how to use alpha channel masks? I read to use a IMsk resource with the same ID as the picture, but I can't see where to do that.
I'm probably just missing something obvious.

11-11-2010 08:07

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

You need a GreyScale Mask image...

Morning! This little Puppy should clear things up a bit...

Basically TNT uses a separate image for the Alpha mask, and you'll need to create this. As you know alpha is a value between 1 (opaque) and 0 (transparent). TNT uses greyscale, where the RGB values are the same, to achieve a similar effect, so White (or RGB 255) is 1 and Black (RGB 0) is zero - an Alpha value of 0.5 (50% opacity) would be RGB 127 (ish), Hex 8 or mid grey, and so on...

That's pretty much it, as the above link says, copy the greyscale to the clippy and paste into the mask box below the sprite image and hey ho, Robert's your Father's Brother etc etc...

Any more probs, just drop us a line

Danny (nod the mod)

11-17-2010 18:45

Posted by:
Yakkers

I guess I didn't really realize it was that simple, heh.
Thanks!