Flippidy dooda!
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

03-03-2002 14:52

Posted by:
Louis!

Find more posts by Louis!

I just had a great idea... It happened as I realised that when you drag the same pict twice into an image bank, it doesn't really take up that much more room since the image back in pretty much calling on that one same pict... The only extra room taken up is the sprite info (hotspot etc.) and the extra room in memory when you load up... So here is my super idea! This would alow people to save space, while not having to alter code and not affecting performance... Pre flipping and rotating!!... You make it an option of the image IN THE BANK.. so that way, I could have a perfectly normal looking image bank of a car rotating 360 degrees in 26 frames... but AH.. it's only one pict!!!... and there could be a flip option too!... And as I stated.. since these would be flipped and rotated at the load images command, using them in game would not alter performance at all.. but the file size for the image resource could be easily cut in half even more (as in my little car example) Well.. food for thought fellas.

03-04-2002 08:37

Posted by:
franz

Find more posts by franz

an interesting aproach to the problem.

an interesting aproach to the problem.

they might eventually support both ways

and even SNES style "mode 7", scaling and rotation?
that's a wonderfull dream to shoot for.
;-) ;-) ;-)

but for now, which way would be easiest?
for just basic horiz / vert fliping of shapes...

(got a nearly finished beta, and another
in the works, both would love to have this feature.)

yes, i'm going to register.
viva TNT

03-04-2002 17:44

Posted by:
Louis!

Find more posts by Louis!

As I stated above, the advantage of doing it as precalcs is performance, you get no hit what-so-ever since, to the computer, they are simply separate sprites.. only in storage are they a single image... The down side is that you still have to plan for contingeancies and you can't use it to do fun stuff like rastering (mode 7 style stuff)

03-05-2002 22:28

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hey, you stole my idea :)

That's a good idea Louis, that's actually how I was planning to implement it too!

Thanks for the feedback, we'll keep you posted on TNT Basic updates, this feature won't be in the next update, but in a subsequent update that won't be too far behind.

As for the mode 7 style scaling and stuff, we also think this is a very good and useful feature... ;)

All the best,

Mark

03-05-2002 22:46

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Louis, can you email me off list at your earliest opportunity.

Mark

03-06-2002 03:36

Posted by:

Find more posts by

I'm not sure I understand what you want...

03-06-2002 09:58

Posted by:
Franz

Find more posts by Franz

Aha - great news.

Aha - great news.
(about sprites, I meant. )