Custom Icons?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-13-2002 03:12

Posted by:
Jasoco

Click Here to Email Jasoco   Find more posts by Jasoco

How do we do Custom icons for our game app? Instead of the TNT barrel. I want my own.

02-13-2002 07:53

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Custom Icons

In the Finder's Get Info window, you can just paste new icons onto the finished application. You have to have a pre made icon ready though.

John

02-13-2002 11:03

Posted by:
ERaZer

Find more posts by ERaZer

ResEdit

Or if you are used to ResEdit you can use it to change the icon and then change the creator code (sometimes you also have to rebuild the desktop). But that only works for classic.

02-13-2002 19:05

Posted by:
Jasoco

I'd rather have the icon built in. I don't like pasting it on. It makes the game seem unprofessional when the user accidentally discovers my little secret.

02-13-2002 23:50

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Icons

Hi Jason,

Do you have any icon editing software? I think most of them should allow you to edit the icon in the built application properly. This is generally better than pasting a picture on as you get to edit the icon mask properly instead of the finder just "guessing" which bits are transparent.

There's plenty of very good icon editors around so there's not much point in writing one for TNT Basic, instead any recommendations on how to integrate better with existing icon editors would be very welcome.

Another idea would be for TNT Basic to allow you to designate an image from your project as an icon for your game, eg. "use image 0 from bank 128 as the application icon" or something. This way you you can have your alpha channel, but I still don't think the icon will be as good as one edited with proper icon editing software (think about different colour depths and icon sizes).

Let us know how we can improve TNT Basic in this area.

Thanks Jason!

Mark

02-14-2002 18:18

Posted by:
Jasoco

Why not just have a menu item "Set Game Icon..." that brings up a dialog with a box. Or better yet, just use that hugely empty first tab and put a "Finder Get Info" window-like box to paste your icon in. I have Icon editing software. I can create a nice icon, but I want the icon to be part (A permanaent part) of the game app without having to do surgery on it.

04-09-2002 01:03

Posted by:
the_crazy_one

Find more posts by the_crazy_one

How about support for the Thumbnail-sized icons in OS X? That would be fun! :)

04-09-2002 01:04

Posted by:
the_crazy_one

Find more posts by the_crazy_one

Wait...afterthought...can you just paste those on too?

04-09-2002 21:45

Posted by:
franz

Find more posts by franz

yeah - an icon window in the first tab?

yeah - an icon window in the first tab?

that'd fit in well,
as it's where the "creator code" is specified.

"Iconographer" is a good shareware icon editor -
for making program icons, tiles or sprites. ;-)

04-29-2002 15:46

Posted by:
Laughing_hard

Find more posts by Laughing_hard

hahahahaha