Creating and Using Files
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

04-11-2008 15:54

Posted by:
psycloneranger

Click Here to Email psycloneranger   Find more posts by psycloneranger

Has anyone really figured this out yet? I've taken as much advice as I've read here and tried just about everything short of standing on my head and I still can't get it to work. If there was any chance that standing on my head would work, I'd try it. And, as long as I'm here, I can't get 'Save Image' to work, either. That part isn't as critical to my current project as saving files is, but any advice in thaat regard would be appreciated as well.

TIA,

Lee

04-11-2008 17:14

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

What exactly is it you are trying to save? Variable data is the only thing I have ever saved/loaded. Maybe give a little example of what you want saved/loaded and I will see if I can help.

cheers

barry

04-11-2008 17:31

Posted by:
psycloneranger

Optimally I'd like to be able to save integers to one file (saving x,y locations) and characters(str) to another. In essence, this is an attempt to allow the users to save what they've done and go back to it later. Using OS 10.2.8 if that helps. Not a game, exactly,--more of a music notation editor which wouldn't be of much use if all of the pertinent information was lost upon quitting.

Quick response btw

Thanks,

Lee

04-11-2008 21:51

Posted by:
psycloneranger

It turns out the file is there--got a clue from someone here about trashing old files in order to avoid a type conflict--but when I try to read it I get the famous 'unexpected end of file' message. I'm gonna go back and try a few things--get back to y'all later.

Lee

04-11-2008 22:12

Posted by:
psycloneranger

Bingo!!

Here's what works for me in case anyone has the same problem--

int fileID

fileID=Open File("bethere",true,"text","TEXT")
file write fileID,"If this works,we're on again."
close file fileID

fileID=Open File("bethere",true,"text","TEXT")

str result=file read string (fileID)
print result

Hee hee! Now I gotta get back to work--anyone here interested in an easy-to-use, nice looking Standard Music Notation Editor?

04-12-2008 00:44

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

can it read scores that other people write using other programs? I've been trying to find free ones for the mac that can do this, but still with no success ><

04-12-2008 01:15

Posted by:
psycloneranger

Not yet, but I should look into that eventually. Right now it is (or is going to be, actually--soon, hopefully) just a really easy way to write up your own stuff, make it look nice, and print it. Without any of the aggravating restrictions that some similar programs have. And, in the spirit of 'The simplest way to get things done is usually the best way', I think TNT might be just the ticket. Granted, other languages do more stuff, but I don't need all of the stuff they do and I certainly don't need the clutter or the expense.
If you have more questions that might get off the programming topic you could write to me at psycloneranger@gmail.com. I'm using someone else's (my neice's) ISP account and she has all of the mail things tied up (natch!). So I can't use some of the automatic mail stuff I see on some WebSites. So I rely on gmail instead.

Regards,

Lee

04-27-2008 06:08

Posted by:
Harbinger

Click Here to Email Harbinger   Find more posts by Harbinger

I'm a classical composer, and i've NEVER bought one of those fancy-shmancy notation editors because i want to be able to put modern or classical notation into a score and most importantly i'm not shelling out hundreds of dollars for something i can do by hand! It's not like i'm trying to get my manuscripts published, so there's no need to pay that kind of cash.

What are some of the features in your app? Can it print quality scores? Does it use third-party fonts (like those ripped from other pricey notation programs ;D)?

You have my interest, but i gotta know if it's worth my time...

05-21-2008 21:38

Posted by:
psycloneranger

notation

I keep running into these annoying little snags that keep setting me back time-wise and are kind of discouraging otherwise. As far as features it will,hopefully, put up any musical symbol you want anywhere you want with a minimal amount of effort. Like, move the cursor, pick your symbol, and hit 'enter' and, Bingo! there it is. Slurs, hairpins, etc. would have to be done a little differently, of course. You'll have options for number of staff lines (so string players can do TAB if they want) spacing between staves, translating from TAB to standard notation and vice versa. The main areas of attention are ease of use and not having the app jump in and try to do things for you. Many of the ones I've seen try to do things that I don't want done!! I've got all of these cool ideas, but implementing them is getting to be kind of a pain.
As far as fonts are concerned, there are musical fonts which are copyrighted, but free to use as long as you don't try to sell something. Of course agreements could be reached concerning potential profits. And I could, of course, just give it away, which is something I threaten to do every time I write a flaming letter to the creators of other notation editors..-)

So, I guess, I should occasionally keep people posted on new developments.

So you're a composer? That's something I haven't even scratched the surface with myself. I'm a pretty good arranger, though. I tend to like the little 'niche' things in between jazz/blues and jazz/classical. Interesting, the number of jazz players that are seriously attracted to classical music.

Later,

Lee