BASIC
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-09-2007 00:01

Posted by:
macsareback

Click Here to Email macsareback   Find more posts by macsareback

What exactly can you make with a basic language? I mean it seems pretty limited and hard for a beginner at the same time. The pong game is all mathematical, I am bad with math.

10-09-2007 08:57

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Hi, and welcome to the forums. There are different basics for different things, and TNT (at least at the moment) is geared towards simple, 2D, sprite based games. It has a list of features which are appropriate to this, and as such is only limited in the fact that it lacks the capability to do more advanced things such as 3D rendering or Mac GUI handling.

TNT's great strength is its ease of use. While it may seem a bit daunting for a complete newcomer to programming, it is actually one of the easiest languages to learn. If you've not already done so, I'd suggest taking a look at our 'Introduction to Programming' tutorial. Familiarise yourself with that then move on to the other tutorials. In my experience, the best place to start is to put a single sprite on screen, then try moving it with the mouse or cursor keys. Have a little play around, you can't break anything...

As for maths, computers only understand numbers. Everything you see, hear or interact with on your Mac is just a series of ones and zeros, so unfortunately, a bit of number crunching is sort of an occupational hazard. Fortunately you only need a rudimentary knowledge to do the simple stuff which TNT is meant for.

If you want to give TNT Basic a go, the 'Learning Zone' is a good place to start, and if you have any specific questions there is always someone around in here to help you out.

Happy Programming!...

Danny (nod the mod)