Changing "About" menu
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-01-2007 02:00

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Just wondering - I was able to edit my built game file using Resedit and change "About TNT Basic" in the top Menu to "About My App" .

Just wondering ... Does this have any inherent problems

and....

How does one change or deactivate the "about" window that comes up - showing the whole about TNTBasic thing. Any idea which resource this is?

?

cheers

barry

07-01-2007 13:19

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

WOW!

I'm impressed Barry, never thought of doing that...

To answer as best I can, changing the strings in the about box will have no detrimental effects at all.
As for the Dialogue (crazy English spelling) itself, in the olden days it would be in a DLOG (for the actual box, probably #128) and DITL (or Dialogue ITem List, for the contents). The latter may reference others, such as ICON, icl8, STR# and so on, dependant on what the content type is. This should all be Editable in ResEdit or Resourcerer.

If you can find the resources (back up your file and just hack away till you change something!) then there's no real problem, your not going to kill too much. You can't "deactivate" it though, the box is called by code, the resource is just what is shown when that code is called. Zapping the dialogue resource would crash stuff, probably in a big and wobbly way ;)

I was talking with Mark a while ago about being able to use the menus, even edit them within Hieroglyph. I even posted this as a feature request on SourceForge. Obviously, this never came to anything, but as I've now picked up the ball so to speak, it's something I will be looking at for TNT2. Doesn't help you now I know, but it's a comforting thought for the future...

Happy Hacking!

Danny (nod the mod)

07-01-2007 20:49

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Right You are Danny!

It works like a charm!
FYI for others to reference:
I used Resedit (Classic only sadly)
The resources to change are:
Menu - edit 'about' text to what you want
DITL - resource 128 (thanks danny) edit about screen to your info.
PICT - 127 copy and paste your image for the TNT image.

voila! presto chango..... done.

seems to work well - no ill effects!

cheers

barry

PS anybody have a suggestion for a good OSX resource editor?

07-01-2007 22:37

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

OS X does not usually use resources and they will be gone in the future so there's little point =P but perhaps look at http://www.ljug.com/sw/resfool.html

07-02-2007 00:28

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

If I could make this 'Sticky' I would...

Glad it all worked, and you will have no problems with the edited resources.
Well done for thinking 'outside the box' btw, I've been doing this sort of stuff for years now and I never even considered hacking the rez fork. Maybe I'm just getting old... Five or so years ago it would have been the first thing I looked at, just goes to show how far Apple have gone in a short space of time.

PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CUSTOMISE THEIR APPS SHOULD READ THIS THREAD

Well done Barry, what else can you change? ;) (I can't btw because I zapped OS 9 from my iBook, and my MacBook wont run it. I do have a UMAX PPC603e running system 7 though... Mmmm.)

Danny (nod the mod)