Near-rookie seeks brainstorm on city simulation
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-10-2006 22:03

Posted by:
Harbinger

Click Here to Email Harbinger   Find more posts by Harbinger

I know BASIC from when i was a teenager in the '80s (that's not a typo), and i think i can pick up TNT's Basic. But i'm wondering if this is the right language for what i need to do...

I'm going to do a much improved version of SimCity, not for profit but simply for fun. I am currently creating the graphics and the file formats i want to use. But one of the big factors is that i want to be able to expand or simply alter existing program code by simply changing out files in a folder. For example, if someone wants to recode how traffic on a road is determined, they simply alter its file -- assuming they know the protocol of the language.

The problem is, i can't find a language that basically assembles its code fragments from different files, then runs THAT.

I was going to use METAL Basic, but that nice little assembler is dead, and hardly anyone uses it. TNTBasic seems to have a few more followers, especially since the creator still tinkers with it and supports it (more-or-less). And i don't want to spend ANY money on a computer language, which is the main reason i am interested in TNTBasic and never bothered to learn C++ or Java or anything like that (i think it's stupid to pay for learning how to tell your computer what to do!).

Does anyone have any brainstorming ideas as to how i can run a TNT Basic program to concatenate files, and then cause either itself or the resulting program assembly to execute? (I'm open to external scripting, but i still use MacOS 8.6.)

10-11-2006 00:22

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

>>
Does anyone have any brainstorming ideas as to how i can run a TNT Basic program to concatenate files, and then cause either itself or the resulting program assembly to execute? (I'm open to external scripting, but i still use MacOS 8.6.)
>>

currently the closest attemp is probably this: http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1233

AFAIK you won't be able to do it all just in TNT. It doesn't have what it takes to do that. You will need to use a program from another programming language/app.

However i'm not sure i totally understood everything you meant. Will the files contain code or just information/flags? If it is the case, then it is possible.

But from TNT code you can't load code and execute it.

>>
never bothered to learn C++ or Java or anything like that (i think it's stupid to pay for learning how to tell your computer what to do!).
>>

I learned both Java and C++ without paying a buck, just by borrowing books from a library and reading tutorials off the web ;) But i can perfectly understand you don't have interest/time to spend on these

10-11-2006 02:06

Posted by:
appleide

Click Here to Email appleide   Find more posts by appleide

>>
>>

Why 8.6? Get a windows or os X or linux...

There are plenty of free stuff out there, but hardly any still supports classic.
eg... freebasic, processing, heaps more.

>>
currently the closest attemp is probably this: http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1233
>>

That currently supports .tbproj only (and .tbprojs are for os x only), no mac resource files... (though if enough people is going to use rsrc... you never know)..

10-11-2006 13:46

Posted by:
Jacob

Click Here to Email Jacob   Find more posts by Jacob

I only ever uses .rsrc files because they are one file.

10-14-2006 17:51

Posted by:
Orteil

Find more posts by Orteil

And I am using .rsrc too, cause I AM on Mac OS 9. (it seems that .tbproj are working too...)
My, a Mac OS 8 user ! How does it look ? I'm not the only dinosaur in here ?

10-15-2006 00:04

Posted by:
appleide

Its working? Thats good to hear.

10-16-2006 07:12

Posted by:
Orteil

Find more posts by Orteil

(I can't download these files though...)

Hey, french-speakers, you can talk about your games here !

10-16-2006 08:16

Posted by:
appleide

try control/command clicking and press "download linked file"

10-16-2006 08:17

Posted by:
appleide

Harbinger... you still havent replied..

10-16-2006 20:46

Posted by:
Harbinger

Click Here to Email Harbinger   Find more posts by Harbinger

Sorry, i'm not at the internet at home, so i come to the library to download and check various forums, which may mean once every few days....

OS 8.6 is fine for everything i need. When OSX came along i lost support for a lot of software that i use, and plus i think OSX is not Apple. It's the bastard child sellout with Bill Gates. DON'T get me started!

Anyhoo, i think i can use TNTBasic to compile new files and then have the user run the recompiled code separately. This is not too much of a workaround.

Before i get started, i am currently assembling a printer-efficient manual on TNTBasic, gleaned from the HTML help, so that i can have the entire set of instructions i an use to out together this and any other program.

Until then, if anyone's interested in the project or thinks you can contribute and save time with some serious coding, lemme know! :]

10-22-2006 08:05

Posted by:
appleide

>>
>>Does anyone have any brainstorming ideas as to how i can run a TNT Basic program to concatenate files, and then cause either itself or the resulting program assembly to execute?
>>

This is now done to an extent with tbEdit.

You can rename your code files whatever you want but cannot move them to another folder or rename your folder that contains these filies.