< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

07-28-2006 14:37

Posted by:
Jacob

Click Here to Email Jacob   Find more posts by Jacob

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to make a nice design for my level editor in my game.
I haven't been able to make something I like, so do you have any ideas that might be good?

I'm making a platform/adventure game, so you need to be able to choose tiles and objects. Objects will be customizable.

07-28-2006 18:38

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Well that's very general... maybe screenshots of what you tried, what you didn't like, how many tiles, how many objects, how many different tilesets, etc. ?

07-28-2006 19:17

Posted by:
Jacob

This one's from a dicontinued game I was making:

07-28-2006 20:03

Posted by:
someone

well to me it looks good... if you could tell what you didn't like maybe? well there are a few things i see: (i'm just giving ideas quickly, i might say stupid things, especially considering i don't know your game!)

1 - the "< grass >" thing, with the 2 arrows. Instead of having arrows, it could maybe be nice to have some kind of tabs, maybe with little pictures on them so that you can easily switch between tilesets.

2 - how is scrolling done (if there is)? i don,t see any scrolling widget. with scrolling i find scrollbars and the ability to hold down a key on the keyboard to switch to "drag mode" to just grad the map and move it.

3 - A map overview? a small area in a corner where ou see the whole map, and a movable rectangle of the visible area. Of course this can eat a lot of space onscreen so it may not always be good.

Other things that i find VERY useful to make map is the abitlity to draw a black-and-white terrain overview in a paint program, where for instance black means some ground is there and white means nothing, then you can import it and the borders are automatically arranged - saves LOTS of time. Of course this involves a single tileset at a time, and would be very hard to implement in TNT.

07-28-2006 20:07

Posted by:
someone

oh yeah, i just saw you mentionned you wanted editable objects... well i do support TNT but i'd say for this one you just shouldn't do your editor in TNT. it's great at games but bad at graphical interfaces. a proper GUi with menus, components, scrollbars, popups, lists, would probably make it a whole lot easier

07-28-2006 20:45

Posted by:
Jacob

1 - the "< grass >" thing, with the 2 arrows. Instead of having arrows, it could maybe be nice to have some kind of tabs, maybe with little pictures on them so that you can easily switch between tilesets.
•Thanks for this idea, sounds great!

2 - how is scrolling done (if there is)? i don,t see any scrolling widget. with scrolling i find scrollbars and the ability to hold down a key on the keyboard to switch to "drag mode" to just grad the map and move it.
•Scrolling is done by moving the mouse near the edges of the viewport. But in another one I made, scrolling was done by holding shift and an arrow key.

3 - A map overview? a small area in a corner where ou see the whole map, and a movable rectangle of the visible area. Of course this can eat a lot of space onscreen so it may not always be good.
•Hmm...this is good, but I'd have to use set pixel color, because TNT Basic Software Mode doesn't have scaling (and I wouldn't want to make a mini-image of each tile).

Other things that i find VERY useful to make map is the abitlity to draw a black-and-white terrain overview in a paint program, where for instance black means some ground is there and white means nothing, then you can import it and the borders are automatically arranged - saves LOTS of time. Of course this involves a single tileset at a time, and would be very hard to implement in TNT.
•We made one of these things (it can be found on page 2 of the TNT Basic Directory). But I don't want to Implament it into my game because I like it when people add slits and unnecessary things to the tiles (see above, that slit that goes all the way down couldn't be made).

07-28-2006 23:08

Posted by:
someone

>
We made one of these things (it can be found on page 2 of the TNT Basic Directory). But I don't want to Implament it into my game because I like it when people add slits and unnecessary things to the tiles (see above, that slit that goes all the way down couldn't be made).
>

Well, the way i worked when i was making a game, was that opened photoshop, drew a rough black-and-white preview of the level's geometry and then imported the pic into the editor. The editor then read the pic, and placed all tiles correctly. I still had to modifiy some areas, but it was waaay faster than placing all tiles one by one. (in this game the maps were HUGE - like 200x200 tiles. I saved hours with this.)

Also for the scrolling... A problem could be that if you want to scroll faster you can't and you have to wait (well depends on the size of the map) and also, when you want to select another tile, you then have to pass the mouse cursor over the border of the map, and it could move. well, i've not tried your engine. in my own map editors, i found it really annoying and replaced it with something else eventually