< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-28-2006 17:30

Posted by:
BinarySpike

Click Here to Email BinarySpike   Find more posts by BinarySpike

What network port do I need to forward?

I can't get networking to work outside my LAN.
I believe because I need to port forward a port
(port forward is also known as virtual server)

03-02-2006 23:42

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

After much trawling...

I've found that the port for the initialisation of the OpenPlay API is assigned, by the system, at run time. I've found no way of saying for definite (by trawling the source or the documentation at Apple's ADC site) which port the network code uses (though I may be missing something...).

I am assuming that the problem you are having is with a firewall on your net server (or router). Without knowing your setup it's tricky to give more advice, but can you not monitor the firewall and have it tell you when it blocks a particular port access request? Temporarily disabling the firewall would prove that this is the case or not, so may be worth a try.

My other questions: Is your LAN an AppleTalk network, and how are you testing internet play?
If you let me know your setup and how you're doing the test I'll see what I can do to find a solution to your problem...

Danny (nods)

04-20-2006 17:26

Posted by:
foosh

Click Here to Email foosh   Find more posts by foosh

Multiplayer Online Games

Is it possible to host a game online? For example have users connect to a certain IP address or server online and play online? Or is this unsupported by TNT Basic. I'm asking because I wanted to know whether it is possible to have something similar to a massively multiplayer online game (MMPOG) created in TNT Basic.

04-20-2006 20:58

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Er... No.

You need some form of server side code for this, and no, TNT doesn't do it. You can set up online RPGs though, as long as you drop the 'massive' bit (I'm in fact doing one now). You need to keep it down to about eight players to get any sort of speed out of it, but it can be done.

Danny (nods)

04-26-2006 01:46

Posted by:
foosh

Click Here to Email foosh   Find more posts by foosh

how?

I'm interested as to how you are working this out, even with server side code. My assumption is that TNT Basic requires all players to join the game before starting it, so that would mean there would be no way to have the players free to join at any point in the game. You'd have to get 8 players, and start the game permanently, not allowing a player to leave and come back...

- foosh

04-26-2006 17:57

Posted by:
allnodcoms

You don't jump straight into the game, if you tack a 'foyer' on the front end with a bit of a chat engine you can collect your players for the session then the ref can initiate the game from a saved file.

I'm implementing a 'real RPG', so I have a ref and eight players who communicate via the engine's chat system. The 'game' handles die rolls and the display of the player's surroundings, holds the character sheet and such like, but the ref (as in a classic session) handles pretty much everything else regarding game play.

Hope that clears it up, there is no server side code as there is no way of telling TNT where to look for it, and it can't interface it. You could quite easily create something along the lines of a 'capture the flag' scenario where players control either a party of characters or a single character, working alone or in teams, anything beyond this is a little out of TNT's league though...

Danny (nods)

07-07-2006 17:10

Posted by:
mikake

Click Here to Email mikake   Find more posts by mikake

erf!

hello, I'm french...so I have some problems to understand what you said.
could you explain me how to create an online game?
with the code , and explanations...?(in english,it's okay)
I have no problems with the TNT basic language, It's just that I've never done it before!!
thanks!