x86 Version?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

02-09-2006 18:05

Posted by:
a monkey

Find more posts by a monkey

I would really like a build of TNT Basic that would run natively on the new Intel macs (as I have recently recieved one, and found that TNT Basic under Rosetta is not cool). I don't have the geek skillz to port a CodeWarrior project to XCode right now, nor do I have the time to learn. Now that PowerPlant is open-source and freely available to download, I'm sure that a TNT Basic Universal binary is possible. Is anyone working on this?

Thanks,
a monkey

02-09-2006 20:00

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Yes we are...

Hi Monkey! Yes, the XCode port of the project files is under way as we speak. This is our next big milestone. I'm only recently back on my Mac after a fairly lengthy Wintel job, but this is now my priority, I need a working XCode model to allow me to test the alterations I have planned for 'hardware mode' (my Codewarrior evaluation license has expired and I can't build!).

Give us a couple of weeks tops and we will have the working project out...

Danny (nods)

02-10-2006 09:07

Posted by:
ALisGREAT

Click Here to Email ALisGREAT   Find more posts by ALisGREAT

I'd like to know what is "not cool" about TNT running in Rosetta? Does it crash? Is it really slow? Let us know.

02-11-2006 06:38

Posted by:
a monkey

Rosetta doesn't perfectly emulate a PowerPC. Things are slowed down quite a bit under Rosetta, and you wouldn't want to use Rosetta for programming a game. You might use Microsoft Word under Rosetta...

02-15-2006 23:38

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

I've just got an intel mac, so I might take a look at the intel port at some point once the XCode project is done. I upgraded from a 400Mz G3 iMac, and TB runs a lot faster under Rosetta than it did natively on my G3 - easily fast enough to run all TB games I've seen people make.

Mark

02-16-2006 02:32

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Ya lucky bugger!

"IwantoneIwantoneIwantone..." (ad lib to fade)

Keep me posted ;)

Danny (green eyed monster)

03-04-2006 21:44

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Find more posts by pseudoprometheus

Hm, in Rosetta a lot of the examples on the TNT website run much faster than they would on a PowerPC computer (maybe a little too fast for some, meaning the character moves around too quickly, etc.), but the 3D Cube example runs much slower.

Wooonder why that is ...

03-04-2006 22:28

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Probably the 'floating point' stuff...

Rosetta has to deal with the 'endian' issue, and that's probably a real pain in the arse for float ops, the 3D cube uses many of these and may well suffer as a result. You'll probably find my breshenham code does too, as this uses bit shifting, another endian nightmare... Not doing too well am I?

Danny (nods)

03-09-2006 03:26

Posted by:
pseudoprometheus

Find more posts by pseudoprometheus

Ah yes, that would make sense. Figures really, how the answer was in front of my face and I didn't see it. D'oh.

03-10-2006 14:23

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

Hey how are things going? have you gor TNT working on XCode? (i'm eager to experiment with the code though i can't even get it to compile - especially PowerPlant)

03-12-2006 23:33

Posted by:
a monkey

A couple weeks tops, huh? :)

03-13-2006 18:38

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Doh!

Yeah, I guess a couple of weeks was a bit keen... Here's the state of play:

We need an XCode project desperately, but XC doesn't build OS 9 stuff (only MACH-0 or better), so I figure "Why not take this opportunity to cull out some of the dead wood?", BUT THEN I think "Well I'm cutting out so much stuff, would it be better to start off with a blank canvas?". So bravely hitting the 'New Project...' button, in I go... Over a month later (and if you've looked into the source code you'll see why) I'm still bravely plugging away.
TNT has not so much developed as 'evolved', and it has brought a lot of its legacy code with it, so I'm trying to simplify things as I go. What should have been a simple case of linking against a couple of system headers has turned into something of a complete re-write. Well it's no fun if it's easy eh? ;)

If you want to get XC to compile TNT you just need to add a few Mac related system header files which CodeWarrior includes by default, but XC doesn't as C++ is not its native language. It's all low level stuff to do with Apple's love of very explicit defines, just hit the compile button to see what I mean... All necessary files are hidden in 'Developer ->Headers->Flat Carbon' or the platform SDKs (if you have them). Either that or hope that Mark or I can get our fingers out and release the XC version... (I'd check out those headers!).

I've not forgotten you, and I'm still on the case, but maybe I should have said "a couple of years tops" ?

Danny (nods)

03-13-2006 22:51

Posted by:
someone

Yup i know about Developer ->Headers->Flat Carbon but it's more complicated than that. There are big portions of code, especially in PowerPlant, that GCC doesn't seem to be able to build. (and i don't have enough experience in C++ to fix the errors... to bad!)

Are you really doing a full rewrite or just adapting stuff?

03-13-2006 23:37

Posted by:
allnodcoms

It's a clean out

I'm not planning on reinventing the wheel here, just to get shot of some of the real legacy stuff and possibly bind it up as MACH-0. It's a bit of a tidy up operation to get ready for changes to certain sections of the code.
With the move to XC we are going to have to have two separate project files, no-one out there can actually build the classic version anyway, so it seems like a real good time to split the development. If this is happening then it makes sense to make the XC version a 'proper' OSX app and lose the classic legacy, but this opens up a whole new can of worms (which is what I'm having trouble with) with regards to the low level toolbox stuff. The problem is, as you rightly point out, the PowerPlant issue, but if it's to be OSX only on the XC arm then why have PP anyway, ditch it in favour of the newer APIs from Apple. This does require a rewrite, and I'm not going down that road just yet, I've not even discussed this with Mark yet, I was seeing how complex the job would be before I even suggested it (you heard it first right here!). The whole project needs cleaning up and organising (though this may just be how I like to work with code), and it needs to be better categorised if anyone is ever to make changes to it. We need a definite structure to the source and we need better documentation, both in comment and external form. Try and work out what you need to do to implement a new call for example... my point exactly.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take over here, I'm just looking into ways that the project can progress. I'll keep you all posted, but for now, I need sleep...

Danny (nods)

03-14-2006 01:01

Posted by:
someone

yeah you,re right cleaning is great ;) looking quickly at the code it seemed hard to figure out what does what

Cocoa would be great... though many people showed interest in making TNT cross-platform, it'd be good to know right now wheter tnt will be made cross-platform or not before doing a full gui recode, cause there are great cross-platform apis out there