Crashing bug
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

12-07-2001 03:23

Posted by:
Socrates

Click Here to Email Socrates   Find more posts by Socrates

My machine keeps crashing (mouse freeze) after running TNT example games. So far it's only happened with bang on and the outdoor scrolling test (which doesn't work unless you add one to all the input references btw, but I think someone else pointed that out already). I'm running system 9.04 (no, I'm not a dinosaur, I just like playing Ambrosia's Slithereens, and everything I own works just fine under .04 but Slithereens prefs go screwy under .1 and higher), but I imagine that many people have older systems, and won't appreciate TNT games crashing them.

12-07-2001 13:10

Posted by:
John Treece-Birch

Find more posts by John Treece-Birch

Re: Crash bug

Hmmm, sounds quite serious. We've not had any experience of that here and we've tried it on a lot of operating systems and machines. We'll look into it, thanks for the report.

John

12-10-2001 10:21

Posted by:
Socrates

Find more posts by Socrates

It happened again

Hi, just to let you know the same thing happened with the bouncing splats demo. I think it must be a problem common to all TNT software.

Maybe a memory leak, or a out-of bounds access?

Only seems to happen when I've being playing a game for a while and then I fiddle with the code, or access a menu or something if that helps. Always the same though, mouse freeze, no recovery.

Should be switching to OS X soon and then all this goes away (and a whole load of othe rproblems arrive), but that won't really help your other users.

12-13-2001 12:18

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hi Socrates,

I'm trying to get this crashing bug, but we've never seen it happen on our systems. Could you give us a little more information, in particular:

Does it only crash in Hieroglyph or have you seen it crash after running examples and then using another application?

Also what version of carbonlib do you have? I've tested Hieroglyph and TB on 8.6 with CarbonLib 1.25, although I didn't use it for a prolonged period.

Next time it crashes, can you check the files "Hieroglyph.MAIN" and "TNT Basic.MAIN" inside the consoles folder in your preferences folder. They're log files. I don't expect anything helpful in there but you never know your luck!

You can send all info to me at mark at tntbasic dot com.NOSPAM.

Thanks for your interest in TNT Basic and your presence in forums!

Mark

PS: I also emailed this to you a few days ago.

12-13-2001 13:36

Posted by:
Socrates

hmm...

I'm using OS 9.04 on a Pismo G3 Powerbook with carbonlib 1.2.5. It's always happened immediately after running a TNT game either from Hieroglyph or just using TNT itself as far as I recall, although I don't know what else was running at the same time, maybe internet explorer (notorious trouble-maker). Actually my whole system is in a bit of a state, so it might just be a random extension conflict. Hopefully it'll go away when I upgrade to X in a few days (I'm just building up the strength to do it).

I didn't get your email, which is odd. Someone else tried to mail me and had similar trouble, though I don't know if they used the same address. Try n//ick.lockwood////@ntlworld/////.c//om in future (ignore the slashes, they're just to confuse any spam bots that may be listening). I seem to get loads of junk mail on beeb though, so I'm pretty sure it's working.

12-13-2001 13:37

Posted by:
Socrates

hmm...

I'm using OS 9.04 on a Pismo G3 Powerbook with carbonlib 1.2.5. It's always happened immediately after running a TNT game either from Hieroglyph or just using TNT itself as far as I recall, although I don't know what else was running at the same time, maybe internet explorer (notorious trouble-maker). Actually my whole system is in a bit of a state, so it might just be a random extension conflict. Hopefully it'll go away when I upgrade to X in a few days (I'm just building up the strength to do it).

I didn't get your email, which is odd. Someone else tried to mail me and had similar trouble, though I don't know if they used the same address. Try n//ick.lockwood////@ntlworld/////.c//om in future (ignore the slashes, they're just to confuse any spam bots that may be listening). I seem to get loads of junk mail on beeb though, so I'm pretty sure it's working.

12-13-2001 13:59

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Find more posts by Mark Tully

Would you mind trying a later version of CarbonLib, just to see if that's the problem? You can always switch back to your current version if not.

You can get CarbonLib 1.4 off version tracker http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=7883&;db=mac.

If that fixes your problems then I'll change the min requirements of TB to require 1.4.

Cheers

Mark

12-18-2001 09:48

Posted by:
rainer

Find more posts by rainer

No Crash for me on 9.0.4 so far!!!!

just read about socrates problem.
I use carbon lib 1.4 ( i believe!)
and no crash with any games and Hacks and .....

good luck
rainer