forums

TNT Basic Forums > Programming Q&A
What commands should you NOT use in Hardware mode?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-20-2005 19:10

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

For instance, using line, rectangle, oval and pixel drawing commands in Hardware mode will slow it down immensely. What else should you not use?

11-21-2005 00:07

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

hardware moe is much slower than it should be. in fact, everything that involves drawing is slower. This will have to be improved in a future version.

11-21-2005 00:30

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Which is why I want to avoid anything that will slow it down even more. Can I use text at least?

11-21-2005 07:20

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Hardware mode revamp.

This is one of the main priorities I was talking about, hardware mode should not be slower than software, it doesn't make sense. Getting the current graphics engine up to scratch is one of the first things that will be done when the source appears.
My advice would be to just use the calls you need, if you need hardware mode for sprite handling then go for it. If you don't, then I'd use software for now as it's quicker anyway. It's only a case of changing one word. The revised engine shouldn't take too long if enough people are working on it (see here for details). You could always change to hardware mode when a new version is released. If you try and work around the current limitations you'll have a harder job on your hands changing it back when it all works properly.

Hardware mode will work VERY soon...

Danny (nods)