Packaging games
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-29-2005 21:04

Posted by:
sabshire

Find more posts by sabshire

I am wondering what is the best approach for packaging games so that they will work on both OS 9 and Mac OS X? My initial guess is that it is best to release two versions.

I know if I build it on my OS 9 machine, that I can take the build and it will run on the OS X box. Not what I want to do necessarily, but not much work.

And, I have not done much app development on the mac, but what is the best way to change the icons of applications?

Also, one thing I am wondering.... Would it be possible to not have the data file needed for running the game? A "single" package file that can run. Most applications for hte mac are this way, and it would make sense to me to follow the standard.

Thanks guys!

10-30-2005 09:59

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

You can do both already :)

If your project is a bundle resource file, when you build your app you get a separate data file. This runs on both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. On Mac OS 8.6 it will appear as a data directory rather than a data file, but it will still work just the same.

If your project is an old style resource file (you can still create these with Save As...) then when you build it will make an all in one app with the data merged into it. This will also run on Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. The only caveat is that this resource file format breaks if your game data is more than about 15Mb or so, any larger and you have to use the separate data file approach.

In the long term, moving the TB app to a Mac OS X .app format, where the application itself is a bundle, would allow us to properly embed all data inside it, when we build, no matter how big it was.

Mark

10-30-2005 22:44

Posted by:
sabshire

hmmmm....

Well, I did a build of my app on an OS X machine, and it does not run on OS 9. Or were you referring to building on OS 9 and running on OS X? I have done that in both cases, and it does work.

I look forward to seeing support the OS X .app format.

Thanks

10-31-2005 00:01

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

> it does not run on OS 9

what do you mean? it does nothing when double-clicked, opens but quits quith some error, behaves strangely, etc.

10-31-2005 00:22

Posted by:
sabshire

does not work

Ok, I am not sure what the problem for certain is, but here's the scenario...

I build my game on OS X, using both styles of project -- resource and bundle.

I zip up the file(s) depending on which. Resource file creates one file, while the bundle produces 2.

I open the zips on the OS 9 machine. They do not appear to be applications. The resource file when I double click it doesn't know what it is, and wants me to choose an application to open it. The bundle just looks like any other folder, and has an __MACOSX folder in it. Has anyone else seen this?

I am wondering if it has anything to do with zipping it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, solutions.

11-07-2005 16:21

Posted by:
Stu

Click Here to Email Stu   Find more posts by Stu

I have had problems like that when zipping files before. I'm not sure why it behaves that way, but when I've tried zipping it has reacted that same way. When I redid the zips, it worked fine. I would just try rezipping.

11-07-2005 17:11

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Or '.sit'

I don't know what you're using, I use stuffit 10.0. There is an option under prefs (compression) to retain OSX formatting when archiving as a Zip. It's not ticked by default (probably because of sending packaged content to PC users). Try checking it and see what happens.
Alternatively you could always use '.sit'...

Danny (nods)

11-07-2005 18:38

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Zip files don't support resources - so Apple puts all resource forks into a special MACOSX directory. Unzipping on MacOS X will recombine the files, unzipping on OS 9 will not. You have to you StuffIt if you want compression that works on both 9 and X.

Mark

11-09-2005 14:30

Posted by:
sabshire

stuffit...

Well, that would explain it. Too bad its not free. Makes it tough to share stuff with others.

11-09-2005 16:01

Posted by:
Stu

Click Here to Email Stu   Find more posts by Stu

You can get the Dropstuff trial. It will let you make the Stuffit archives, just for a limited time.

11-18-2005 01:15

Posted by:
sabshire

stuffit worked

Stuffit does work... I may have to buy that afterall. You can check out the game I created... nothing special, but fun.

It's a kaboom clone.

http://4haks.blogspot.com/2005/11/kaboom.html

Click to start. Q to quit. Click to continue to next level after collecting the bombs for the current level. 10 bombs per level, so on level 1, there are 10.. level 2 has 20, level 3 has 30, and so on...

Have fun!