TNT Basic Forums > Programming Q&A
Making an adventure/RPG-!!!help!!!!
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

01-20-2002 21:29

Posted by:
John S.

Click Here to Email John S.   Find more posts by John S.

I was wondering if some one could tell me the basics to creating an overhead adventure/RPG. I would really appreciate it.

01-20-2002 21:35

Posted by:
ERaZer

Click Here to Email ERaZer   Find more posts by ERaZer

That shouldn't be so hard but I'm no good at explaining :( ... I'm currently making a top down/zelda view sports game right now and I based it on the outdoor scrolling example in the downloads section, and I will probably post an example of how to do this(top down sports game) but I dunno(and if I do, it will take same time...)

01-20-2002 22:52

Posted by:
Jasoco@Jasoco.com

Click Here to Email Jasoco@Jasoco.com   Find more posts by Jasoco@Jasoco.com

Well, first you need to choose a mapping style.

> Do you want one screen to be one map then walk onto the next screen like the original Zelda?

> Do you want the entire map to scroll as you walk like Dragon Warrior?

Then you need a fight system.

> Do you want a turn based system like Dragon Warrior/Pokémon?

> Do you want a FFVII type "Active Timed Battle" system where each player takes their turn when the timer meter fills up?

> Do you want the action to be live on screen like in Zelda?

Once you have your mapping system, you need to design your world. This is up to you. Choose a time to take place in. (Just so you know, Medeval/Magic time RPG's are soo over done.)

Then you need to create the graphics. Or do that first. But make them good looking. Start with placeholder graphics while designing the game, and replace them later with higher quality graphics for the final game.

Then later on add special effects like intermission presentations and cool effects that happen when you defeat enemies or pick up items or such.

01-21-2002 00:13

Posted by:
John S.

Find more posts by John S.

WOW!!! Thanx a lot for your help!!!

01-21-2002 00:20

Posted by:
John S.

Actually I could use some more help. I've decided to incorporate the following: Map style- zelda, and fight style- also zelda. Since i'm just starting out (if its not to much trouble) could you give me some code examples for interacting with other sprites and item use?

01-21-2002 00:43

Posted by:
Jasoco@Jasoco.com

Click Here to Email Jasoco@Jasoco.com   Find more posts by Jasoco@Jasoco.com

I wish! I have no idea how. Sorry.

01-21-2002 02:44

Posted by:
John S.

Thats all right, thanks a lot for your help though!