TNTB1.3 Questions
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

10-25-2005 18:44

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Find more posts by Jae Rune

Ah. First person to run into a brick wall with the new system, I see. Okay, so here goes. I saved the following PNGs with Photoshop 7.0.1 in Mac OS X:

Which is all well and good. They look good, I like them. But when I import them into the game by dragging them to the graphics pane from the finder and crack 'em open in Heiroglyph, they wind up looking like this:

Not so hot. So I'm still running this system:

iMac Flat Panel 800
800 mHz PPC
32 MB nVidia GeForce 2 MX
Mac OS X 10.4.2 with the latest updates as of last weekend.

Anyone have the faintest idea of what's going on? This is for a 1.3 game I'm hoping to put together as a tutorial to myself and hopefully others, called Marbolique (it was that or Marbolical) that's basically just a kind of a cross between Pac-Man, Pinball and Lemmings, only using one ball. It has some relation to Onyx as well, but not as much.

10-25-2005 22:50

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

it mostly looks like you used masks with shades of grey while only black and white were supported - but this nice theory just can't explain why the 2 triangles appear that way. I don't know!

10-25-2005 23:17

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

As I knew it, you have to paste the alpha mask in the appropriate location, you cant just import png's

10-26-2005 06:02

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Find more posts by Jae Rune

Hmm. How does one import alpha masks?

Also, I noticed a glitch. Sometimes when I'm looking at the collision information for my graphics, the palette takes over and I can't click any other tab in the window. Kinda pissy.

Also, is there any way to do map tiles that have transparency?

10-26-2005 11:37

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Alpha masks...

Alpha Masks in PS aren't created automatically. Go to the channels tab (usually grouped with Layers and Paths) and click new channel button. The new channel should (depending on the mode of your image, rgb or cmyk etc) be called Alpha 1. This is your alpha channel.
Paste your image into here, and edit it as needed. Black where you want to see colour, white where you don't, and shades of grey for those fuzzy bits in between. You can use all editing tools and blend options etc. and PS's help is a good place to start if you get stuck.
Save this as a channel as an image and you're in!

No idea on the glitch... Sorry.

There are no transparent tiles as yet, but I've spoken to Mark about this already, because of another thread. We are arranging things so that a map can use an image bank (taking the sprite images rather than cutting from a full image). This will give transparency, obviously assuming you get your alpha masks sorted :)

Happy editing!

Danny (nods)