< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-28-2005 00:19

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

Hi everyone,

As you've all no doubt noticed, TNT's development hasn't exactly been moving quickly recently :)

I've got two announcements to make, firstly, there is a new version of TB in active development. I've just about finished removing the 16Mb file limit and after that I'll add window mode and fix any quicktime 7 issues. That will be TNT Basic 1.3.

There will be one more major feature for TNT Basic 1.3, it will be free and it will be open source.

This hasn't been an easy decision for me, and it's been a long time coming, but I think we all recognise there's a certain inevitability about it. I considered various options, including plain freeware and taking on extra developers for a continued closed source development; but in the end I think open source suits TNT best.

I'm still really keen to keep TNT Basic going, and get new features in it. I want to see it move cross platform, get 3D support and get a more plug in based architecture - however I'm no longer in a position to do it all on my own. I want to continue to guide TNT Basic's development as I have a very clear picture of where it can go from here, but at the same time I want spread the maintenance burden by making it open source.

A lot of you in the community seem to have 'graduated' from TNT to real languages, and I think it's really great that you attribute your programming beginnings to TNT Basic. This is exactly what I wanted, it is how I got started with programming myself with AMOS on the Amiga, over 10 years ago now. If any of the graduates in the community want to look under the bonnet (that's 'hood' to you yanks :) of the tool where many of you wrote your first program - you'll get your chance shortly. You guys are in the absolute best position to help with TNT Basic as you know it really well from a users perspective (plus you probably know better than I do what bugs need fixing! :)

I estimate this current release will be complete within 2 weeks. Maybe sooner. After that there will be a bit of preparation to get the source code ready for release and so hopefully you'll see it before June is out. I intend to release the TNT Basic source code and then later on the Hieroglyph source code. Hieroglyph will take quite a while to get prepared for release cos it's a massive project which has been in development from 1997. It actually does a lot more than what you see with TNT Basic.

I hope you see this as the good news it is. TNT is not dead, and it's probably about to get a whole lot more active development than it has in years!

Anyway, I'm not going to be around to check the boards until Monday, but please feel free to post any questions.

Cheers,

Mark

05-29-2005 15:32

Posted by:
Fischgurkensenf

Click Here to Email Fischgurkensenf   Find more posts by Fischgurkensenf

Wow... I didn't expect anything like that at all... I'm impressed...

Unfortanely, I just switched to BlitzMax and programmed my first game with it. :(
(yes, it's tetris!)

I got some important questions:

1. Will it be Tiger compatible? BlitzMax had the problem that it wasn't compatible with Tiger, but luckily there's a new version now.

2. Is it possible to give the window in the windowed mode any size you want?

-IBD

05-29-2005 20:30

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

Wow Mark, I didn't realize you were such a master of life ;)

You got this bunch of gamers and turned them into programmers, wow, we all owe you a big thank you!

As for me, I'm still not good enough in C++ to help you out. I still like basic (I bought blitmax too). However I hope there will be people that can help you make TNT even more kickass. TNT has some feautures that make it amazingly friendly, the resource loader, the "sprite" controls, the amazing variety of picture and audio formats it can import, and is fast enough with sprites and backgroung, at least at a low res.

Well, I guess the most important thing is to get it working on tiger and fixing eventual bugs.

Thx for what you're doing!

Matteo

05-29-2005 21:05

Posted by:
EvolPenguin

Click Here to Email EvolPenguin   Find more posts by EvolPenguin

1 word: awesome

I learned TNT basic first, and then "graduated", well, kind of. Its still one of my favorites to just mess around with.

Alex

05-30-2005 17:36

Posted by:
Mark Tully

1. Will it be Tiger compatible?

Yep.

2. Is it possible to give the window in the windowed mode any size you want?

Yep - up to the size of the screen obviously.

Mark

06-01-2005 00:03

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

wow! i never expected that! that's the best thing that could have happenend to TNT i think - it's just a shame i can't contribute to it cause i never programmed in C++ (i should learn i guess :)- i'm already way more at ease at object-oriented programming than at basic but i don't know C++)

06-01-2005 10:38

Posted by:
Fischgurkensenf

1. Is it compatible with os 9.x?

2. Do you use a new technology to draw the graphics? There is/was a problem with the drawline, drawrect, etc. commands, and I wonder if you could fix that with TNT Basic 1.3.

06-01-2005 10:40

Posted by:
Fischgurkensenf

oops - forgot another question:

3. Does the software graphic mode support 32 bit graphics or isn't it supported anymore?

-IBD

06-01-2005 22:46

Posted by:
Mark Tully

There are no other large changes planned for this release, so yes OS 8.6+ is still supported. The gfx commands won't be fixed for this version but should be easy enough to fix for a future version.

06-01-2005 22:47

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Oh yeah, so 32 bit software gfx mode won't be in 1.3.

06-15-2005 18:21

Posted by:
buddy

Click Here to Email buddy   Find more posts by buddy

ala GameMaker on Windows?

Great to hear that TNT Basic is not dead.
I started my game "Repossessed" in TNT Basic, but ran into very frustrating limitations.
Tried it in RealBASIC, but couldn't grasp a few key concepts....

Then I did it in Gamemaker on Windows. (Yes, shoot me.)
But...
It seems TNTBasic is similar to Gamemaker, just not as "old" and refined yet.

Perhaps a target to shoot for?
Anyway, again... glad TNTBasic is still going ot be with us!

06-19-2005 00:30

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

I'm pretty surprised here. But excited also. The problem is I already bought it years ago, so the "Free" thing doesn't matter to me, but the features intrigue me.

But I have a conundrum. Anyone heard of this new game making software, "Power Game Factory"? It's like practically new, programmed in RealBasic and well, I've tried it, and $45 is a steal for what it can do. What really surprises me is the engine is programmed in RealBasic, yet is super fast on my 1.25 Mac mini. While TNT has always hated lots of on screen stuff and slowed down a lot.

Will TNT 1.3 be a lot faster? I'd like to own both programs, but the whole "TNT is now free" thing is just tearing me between the two. Part of me says I'll never be able to use TNT to code a really good game, and that PGF would be a great inverstment even if it seems to let me do the beginner games. (It's all side-scrolling games now from what it seems. But they've hinted it's possible to do a side scrolling SHMUP.)

I am very close to buying that software, but if TNT could be really really super fast, it might make me think. Seems TNT's speed is the key factor.

And I'm not just referring to line/circle/rectangle drawing mode. I love line/circle/rectangles, sometimes I want to put them in with sprites, but it seems the second I turn on acceleration and try to make the engine draw a line based object, slowness. Utter slowdown. Why we can't have the speed when using both sprites and lines is beyond me. Especially since it'd allow for some cool particle effects without having to render dozens of sprites. Even if the sprites are 1-5 pixels each.

Good to see TNT's not dead. To be honest, I'd pretty much given up for a while. Last time I checked, there was no word of 1.3 and everyone on the Forums was wondering what would happen to TNT.

06-19-2005 10:00

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Two different beasts

PGF is what is known as a 'construction kit', and TNT is a proper language. With PGF you can only produce certain types of game, but with TNT you can write pretty much anything, you're not even restricted to games.

As far as I'm aware Mark has no plans to address speed issues in the 1.3 update, but don't let this put you off. With the release of TNT as Open Source it means that the whole community can contribute to its progress, I for one am itching to get my hands on some source code, and speed concerns will be an important focus. There are also some really exciting plans for its development, one of which is a real compiler, and this will see speeds increase dramatically!

I think your decision has to be whether you want to write more than side scrolling shooters? But as it's not really a case of buy one or the other (as TNT is going to be free) you could always just get PGF anyway. If the choice was mine, I'd go TNT everytime, it's 'cheaper', more flexible, and is going to be updated far more regularly. As you get better at coding in a real language you can even add the features you'd like to see included, as you can also get the source code, and there will be plenty of people out here to help you out...

Don't give up on TNT now, it's about to get a whole lot better!

Danny

06-21-2005 01:01

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

FWIW, PGF is fast because it uses OpenGL via SuperSpriteSurface. If you buy that plugin for your RB games you should get similar speeds.

06-22-2005 14:01

Posted by:
-wyvern

Find more posts by -wyvern

Holy moly! Wow - since Blitzmax doesn't work on either of my computers for some infuriating reason, this is great news for me. While I can't help improve TNT's actual code, I'll certainly be making games with it.

06-24-2005 15:01

Posted by:
DanLurie

quote:
Holy moly! Wow - since Blitzmax doesn't work on either of my computers for some infuriating reason, this is great news for me. While I can't help improve TNT's actual code, I'll certainly be making games with it.

What Macs are you trying it on?

06-26-2005 15:04

Posted by:
-wyvern

I've got an old G4 imac 800mhz with 256mb memory running X.2.8, and my shiny new 12-inch ibook (which is fresh from the factory with X.3). I have installed Xcode and everything, but for some reason blitz just wouldn't compile even the demo programs. It's a massive shame, since I saw Blitzmax as my way forward. I talked with the blitz support guys but they couldn't figure it out before the 30 days elapsed.

06-28-2005 03:57

Posted by:
DanLurie

Bizarre. I have almost the same iMac...although I'm on 10.3.9

Perhaps reinstalling the Developer Tools...

06-28-2005 16:52

Posted by:
-wyvern

Even if I did, now that the demo time is over I wouldn't be able to see if that helped; although I have downloaded the latest version of blitz I'm loathe to register a product that might still not work on my computer. It's very annoying.

06-28-2005 18:23

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

Yet again

Mr. Tully: sounds promising.

the lot of you whiners: remember, support is a bonus, not a right

This is the second language (and 4th piece of software) I've used that's gone open source. OnBoard C only got better by going open source.

One language I loved is dead: Visual Mac Standard Basic. Mostly due to poorly commented code in an obscure language preventing new owners from going forth with it. TNT was a nice replacement, for the most part.
(No $%&$%& windowed mode, tho!!!!)

Another disappeared entirely: SCBasic.

THis happens in the software world; whining about it can kill a not-dead-yet program by preventing further registrations.

06-28-2005 21:03

Posted by:
allnodcoms

That was 'random'...

Will, I just have to say I thought your post was harsh, I've looked back through the messages left since the Open Source decision was announced and I haven't seen a single 'whine'. The response from the community, such that it has been, seems very up-beat. People appear to be happy with the move, and simply curious as to how this will effect them. This is software which they have invested time, effort and maybe money into, and they have a vested interest in its future.

If you refer to the lack of offers for help with the project I have to point out that TNT has always been a sort of introductory language. In general, if someone could actually program OpenGL in C++ then the chances of them using TNT would, I imagine, be pretty slim. Those that have gone on to bigger and better things no longer visit these forums, so are un-aware of the latest events. We are in a kind of catch 22 situation, we are releasing low level source to a high level language, and the end-users, whilst obviously keen to see things progress, lack the fundamental knowledge necessary to contribute themselves.

This should be a time when we are consolidating the community, not insulting it, and coming from a programmer (which from your other posts to this site I am assuming you are), I feel you could have aided the cause better by offering your services rather than aiming 'low blows' at those who may wish to do so in the future.

06-28-2005 22:25

Posted by:
matteo

Hmmm... 1 month has passed since the announcement...

06-28-2005 22:32

Posted by:
DanLurie

I think that people who used to use it and "moved on" might be interested in looking over the source. Perhaps they would help with bugfixes and such.

Some folks at iDev might be persuaded to help out with the project.

06-28-2005 22:50

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Don't worry Matteo, work on 1.3 is almost complete. Mark has a full working version of both Hieroglyph and TB and is just making some final speed tweeks with regard to the 'new file format' (watch this space...).
The source code will follow shortly, at least for the runner engine, and needs to be prettied up for human consumption. Give it a week or so and we should be cooking on gas...
DanLurie, once we've got some actual code for people to see we are going to promote the project far more than it has been in the past. TNT has been a bit of a well kept secret for too long, and I think it's about time we told everyone how good this thing is, and how much better it could get. We do need more programmers on-board, perhaps I'll start a thread for this, but the people you mentioned will be made aware of the latest developments.

06-29-2005 20:47

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

It's great to see TNT isn't dead. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

07-02-2005 15:21

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Find more posts by Jae Rune

Well, I'm really looking forward to this, as I've been lusting after TNTBasic since it came out shortly after finances forced me to convert to PC. Now that I'm back on Mac, I find it's somewhat dead in the water. I look forward to seeing more from this soon!

07-10-2005 13:00

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Hi guys,

Just an update for you all. I've put a new resource file format into TNT + Hieroglyph now, it's a project bundle format - which is basically a directory with all your data resources inside it. This accomplishes three things:

1) No more 16mb limit - no file size limit at all!
2) Open format, as each resource is stored as an indiviual file inside the project bundle - you could edit resources directly in other programs, eg directly work on your pictures in a paint package, save them and re run your game.
3) Format is no longer mac specific, which is a step in the right direction.

Also, the way I've put it in means that new resource file formats can be added very easily, so adding a compressed PAK / WAD style file format for built games would be easy, but I don't indend to do this for 1.3. Note that the project folders won't just open if you double click on them, you have to right click and saw 'Show Package Contents'.

I'm just finishing the build application command to work with project folders, basically a built app will be an application with a data bundle in the same directory. In the future, if TB moves over to a Mac OS X bundled app, the data could just be merged into its bundle to main a self contained game again. TB 1.3 will still be able to make self contained games if they're < 16Mb in size.

Windowed mode will be in 1.3. I'll also make sure TB works properly on Tiger.

Work is going slower than expected, simply because of time constaints, but it is going and really won't be much longer. I need to finish it soon so I can upgrade my machine anyway, I think this PowerBook G3 (my main TB dev machine) is on its last legs, but I don't want to upgrade whilst work is in progress on a TB version!

As some of you may have picked up from comments made by Danny/allnodscom, he's been in contact with me outside of the boards about the open source version, so you can generally believe what he says! :)

Cheers all,

Mark

07-11-2005 00:50

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Thanks Mark...

I do have my uses!
I'll mail over the binary resource file format spec. when I can get back on my Mac, I have it as a preliminary "*.h" file with ridiculously large comment content (ANSI C at present, but 'plus plusable' with minor changes... heavy use of typedef).
Good luck with 1.3, and keep me posted!

Danny

07-13-2005 19:13

Posted by:
Jae Rune

That all sounds great. I'm still really looking forward to this! Especially the Tiger compatibility. I know I could just as easily learn ObjectiveC, seeing as how I have a strong ANSI C/Java/PHP background... but I don't really want to learn the whole of the OS X graphics coding structures. OpenGL, Quartz, Cocoa. It's all greek to me. :P

07-14-2005 00:28

Posted by:
allnodcoms

It may be Greek at the moment, but having a good grounding in C type languages you'll probably be suprised at what you will learn just by looking at the source...

Knowing what TNT does, then looking at how it does it can only aid the learning curve. TNT is not in objective C, it's C++. I'm an ANSI C programmer (as you've probably seen) and I hate ObjC, nearly as much as I hate C++ (though for different reasons!) but when all is said and done, it's C. All the stuff you know and love is there, it's just hiding under layers of abstraction. A C++ object is primarily just a struct, its calls are just function pointers, and its member variables just offsets into a formatted data type. When you strip away all the snazzy calling conventions, inheritance and all that other stuff which just chews clock cycles, you are left with pure, classical, ANSI based C.

I don't know how well the TNT source will be commented, from personal experience I should imagine that it will be 'passable', but by following the code flow and cross referencing with Apple's code (which is generally 'over commented') you and I could quite easily work out what is going on, why it's going on, and how we could make it better.

TNT has been a learning curve for many people, and releasing the source can only further that commitment. Stick around Jae and give it a go, this could be a very interesting time if we can get enough people on board to push this thing to where it should be going.

Danny (Nods)

07-14-2005 01:00

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

well i'm quite solid at Java but i love the C++ language too (C and objC don't appeal to me though -C lacks power and objC is unreadable :P ) however i know very little about the Cocoa api and all those OS X things- 'd just need docs as i'm not too bad at 3D OpenGL - i hate learning apis ;) in Java it was easy tehre was only a single well-documented api doing everything

07-15-2005 01:00

Posted by:
Jae Rune

My biggest problem with the majority of APIs that I encounter are how simple things are horribly obscured or obfuscated or obtuse. They're "ob" something!

I can't think of a real example off the top of my head, but I know that a lot of graphics engines use horribly complex commands for what should be a beautifully simple process. I don't think programming need be complex to be powerful. Often it's the most simplistic languages that achieve the greatest results.

Recently I was messing with a custom PHP script to allow myself to convert a text file into a formatted document. I spent four hours on this converter. An intensely simple program that was wildly obscured by PHP's obtuseness. Now, granted, I generally prefer PHP of the many languages I know... but the frustration at forgetting things like semi-colons or having files handled so many differen ways that it's hard to determine exactly what way is the correct way to handle the data took what should've been a really small task and turned it into a four hour exercise in self-torture.

I know every language will have it's foibles, draw-backs and pitfalls. I accept this and move on with my day. It's just the *kinds* of problems I'm concerned with. It's no big deal if a piece of code aborts because I forgot to convert an integer to a string. It IS a big deal if a piece of code aborts because I supplied local variable with the same name as a global variable, forgetting that not all variables are global.

It's just all down to what I will and won't put up with during a coding session. Which is why I'm not a big fan of Python. I can see the beauty of the language... but if a class structure is THAT confusing to someone that already understands class structures and inheritance, it's not worth my time.

Basically, I want to look at a piece of code and start toying with it right away. I don't want to delve in thousands of pages of text just to relearn concepts I already understand.

I guess my big thing is that a language should be immediately recognizable. Commenting should have little to no use in a piece of code, since the code should be legible from the get-go.

But maybe I'm just stubborn and set in my ways. I can't really know for sure. But I do know that I can generally follow the TNT Basic code easily enough, and it doesn't seem to take hours upon hours of learning just to do the simplest of things.

07-15-2005 09:43

Posted by:
allnodcoms

I sympathise with the API thing, I've played with the Micro$oft DX APIs and they are truly horrible! Apple however have historically been very good with their APIs, with the possible exception of the toolbox stuff which took a bit of carefull study before I eventually gave up and bought ToolsPlus, which did it all for you... The Apple API grew out of Pascal, previously Apple's language of choice, and retains a lot of its verbose nature, GetPreviewFromResourceFork() for example. 'It does exactly what it says on the tin', check through a few headers and look at the constants, you'll see what I mean. As far as I can recall (though someone will doubtless prove me wrong) Apple never released an official C++ version of its APIs, they went straight from Pascal, to ANSI C to ObjC (watch the boards light up after that one!). As Mark is working with older versions (a pure assumption, but he's supporting Classic so it seems a safe bet) TNT is 'probably' in C++ with standard C calls wrapped in custom classes. I've not looked at the new ObjC stuff too closely, partly because I don't like it (though it is actually a 'proper' sub-set of C, unlike C++ which is a variant) and partly because my work lead me into the Windoze wilderness for a while and I've been away from the Mac for a couple of years. I need to check these out though, as I'm not sure how we can progress a C++ proj with ObjC dev tools...
Anyway, we'll know more when the source is released.

Danny (Nods)

07-20-2005 07:37

Posted by:
Jae Rune

My first ever look at an API was via CodeWarrior Discover Programming Second Edition... when it was BRAND NEW. That should give you an idea of how far back it's been since I bothered with API calls at all.

I don't like Objective C simply because, well... I haven't used it and I see no reason to start now.

My work has taken me into PHP more than anything else these last few years. I even manage to side-step around JavaScript more than most developers do, simply because I understand my tool inherently. :D

07-24-2005 07:36

Posted by:
DanLurie

quote:
I need to check these out though, as I'm not sure how we can progress a C++ proj with ObjC dev tools...

Er...XCode handles C++ just fine. You need to go through Carbon instead of Cocoa, but I imagine TNT already uses Carbon.

07-24-2005 13:20

Posted by:
allnodcoms

What I was refering to was the use of the newer API's, which are ObjC, to progress TNT and provide Tiger support. It will be especially important next year with the introduction of the 'Universal binary' format. This would entale placing ObjC code in C++ classes, and I'm not sure how the whole messaging system would handle that...
The 'have a look' thing was to see if the ObjC stuff could be 'reverse engineered' into a more usable format, ANSI or C++, for inclusion into the existing object hierarchy.

Hope that is a bit clearer...

Danny (Nods)

07-27-2005 11:12

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Soooo... what happened? We choke again?

07-27-2005 22:50

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Lost in Translation...

8I <-- confused bloke!

What happened with what?

07-28-2005 07:53

Posted by:
Jae Rune

What happened to the 1.3 release? It's been awhile now, I think. I've been busy with other stuff, but aren't we like a month past the original projected release date? Any need for beta testers?

07-28-2005 09:23

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Doh...

Sorry Jae, it was late and I was tired... (searches frantically for the embarassed smiley)

I've not heard from Mark since the last post, but I do know he wants to get this out ASAP. He is however a developer in the 'Real World', I've been there, I was senior Mac programmer for a London based software house and spare time tends to come in very small packages. The original launch date was the end of June, so it's not that late (in TNT terms anyway!).

We'll just have to keep an eye on the boards, it should be out soon and if I hear any more I'll post here.

Danny (Nods)

07-31-2005 07:17

Posted by:
Wil Hostman

Find more posts by Wil Hostman

Harsh Post

allnodcoms,

Yes, it was INTENTIONALLY harsh, and aimed at the one or two how seem to be on Blitz's payroll... and those who've been saying "TNT is Dead, Try Blitz"

And those whining because it takes Mr. Tully a few weeks to respond, or that life has delayed 1.3.

It annoys me no end.

People should be happy that Mr Tully is in fact taking steps to insure a future version; many shareware programs simply up and die... without a trace.

Which reminds me... I need to see if YIPE IV is done.

07-31-2005 13:52

Posted by:
DanLurie

quote:
... and those who've been saying "TNT is Dead, Try Blitz"

I think after nearly a year with no updates, it was a safe reccomendation.

08-02-2005 01:22

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Still going :)

As Danny said, being a developer in the 'real world' really impinges on the development of hobby projects. Still, I've got some time off from work now, so with a final push I should have TB 1.3 complete by the end of my time off.

I've also upgraded to Tiger, so I'll now be able to verify TB works properly with it.

Sorry for the delay!

Mark

08-02-2005 01:23

Posted by:
Mark Tully

PS: I'm on vacation for two weeks and so won't be responding to forum posts or emails

08-02-2005 01:24

Posted by:
Mark Tully

PPS: why oh why did I just write 'vacation' instead of 'holiday', I swear the internet will americaniZe all of us... :)

08-04-2005 22:31

Posted by:
DanLurie

That reminds me. Do all the docs still say set colour ?

08-05-2005 09:24

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Hell Yeah!

And 'dialogue'... (those crazy Brits eh?)

Well, toodle pip.

Danny (nods)

08-10-2005 21:50

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Well, I'm not complaining about the tardiness of the release. I was just curious if I was able to help in any way (such as crashing and burning the application on my machine). And I find that the English language, in general, is a pile of badly spelled gibberish.

I'm still looking forward to 1.3, though. If it comes out before my birthday in late October, I'll be ecstatic and consider it an early birthday gift. :D

(P.S. - At least we're not speaking German. We have each-other and, oddly, the Canadians to thank for that...)

08-15-2005 00:23

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Nearing completion...

I've completed the move to the new file format and added window mode, it's also running under Tiger without problems. Testing under OS 9 and hardware mode remains, but 1.3 shouldn't be too far off now....

Cheers,

Mark

08-17-2005 06:55

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Ah! Brilliant! I look forward to it. :D

09-12-2005 12:25

Posted by:
Jae Rune

So... progressando?

09-13-2005 23:55

Posted by:
matteo

shhhhh... you're interrupting the creation process...

09-15-2005 00:08

Posted by:
Jae Rune

D'oh! I just made it not come out 'til 2006, huh?

09-15-2005 00:51

Posted by:
matteo

Argh, now you definetely spoiled everything!

Jeez, Tully was at the end of a one year long meditation process, just one minute away from solving the ultimate algorithm that would have made TNT Basic run faster than assembly, cross platform on all known OSs and even a few unknown ones, more fully featured than opengl and directx and SDL combined (plus cocoa and win32 and carbon), more object oriented than java yet easier than a piece of cake and you broke his concentration and destroyed everything!

Argh, now he will have to start everything again. Your interruption probably has caused him also to forget all programming he knew, now he must go back to C++ for dummies to learn about variables.

And all of this because you could not wait one more minute! #@%&$***!!!

09-15-2005 01:48

Posted by:
Stephen Lund

Click Here to Email Stephen Lund   Find more posts by Stephen Lund

Ya, Thanks ALOT, :)

09-15-2005 13:50

Posted by:
Jae Rune

*commits seppuku for this dishonor*

09-16-2005 21:42

Posted by:
Mark Tully

You guys are nuts :)

Although, strangely enough, I had just finished off the OS X version, and was just looking over some half written auto-indenting code to decide whether it was worth finishing or leaving disabled... and my concentration was broken, my hard disk went down. Oopps.

After much messing around I got all my data back, so TB wasn't damaged or anything, but my powerbook is toast. I've had that Pismo for nearly 5 years now - and it decides to stop working when? Right on the cusp of 1.3 that's when... (Or course, that 'cusp' has actually been about a year long, so it probably wasn't as freakish a coincidence as I'm making out...)

Anyway, back on the old iMac G3 now, so I'll soon have 1.3 finished. I'll make a decision on auto-indenting, I started it over a year ago then dropped it, but it looks like it's pretty much finished. Then I'll double check OS 9 still works then I'm done.

Very nearly there.

Once I've done the binary release I'll release the source for 1.3 onto sourceforge. This will probably be a gradual thing, TB first, then Hieroglyph.

So yes, sorry for the delays and thanks for your patience!

Mark

09-17-2005 16:48

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Hehehe. Now they're really going to roast me. But it's good you got the data back, as they'd completely annihilate me if you lost that. And that would be bad, m'kay?

We'll look forward to the SF release. Where is the SF page by the way?

09-17-2005 17:52

Posted by:
allnodcoms

TNT at Sourceforge. Nothing there yet, but keep 'em peeled!

Danny (nods)

09-18-2005 17:44

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Great! I'll keep that one in mind. I'm going to go slap my poor little iMac around now, reformat the drive and dual-boot Ubuntu Linux and MacOS X Tiger. For I am evil.

*really wishes he had a Classic layer sometimes*

09-30-2005 21:41

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Geez. When I fornicate the canine I really fornicate the canine...

10-03-2005 17:38

Posted by:
matteo

OMG you did it again! Again it was only 1 minute away from completition and you screwed it up! This time you probably caused all Tully's computers to crash, all his backup cds to drop and break, so everything is lost! Everything is lost now, no hope left for humanity.

10-03-2005 22:50

Posted by:
Stephen Lund

How ago did TNT Basic 1.2 come out,

10-03-2005 22:51

Posted by:
Stephen Lund

I missed the LONG in my post.

10-03-2005 23:07

Posted by:
matteo

1 year and 11 months according to the news in the homepage

10-04-2005 02:46

Posted by:
DanLurie

I recall it being very ago.

10-05-2005 21:31

Posted by:
Stephen Lund

Thanks, maybe I should have looked there before I posted:).

10-06-2005 12:20

Posted by:
DanLurie

waits for Matteo to tell us these last posts caused Mark Tully to be eaten by a pterodactyl...

10-06-2005 16:11

Posted by:
matteo

Precisely.

Not to mention the pterodactyl has been squashed by a huge giant octopus, which himself has subsequently been erupted by a bursting vulcano and then found himself in the middle of the collision between two asteroids.

10-06-2005 16:31

Posted by:
allnodcoms

*Post recovered from forum cache*

Hi guys, Mark here. It's finished! I'm just about to start the upload proc... just a second, what's that?... No, it can't be! AAaaarghhhhh! CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP, GURGLE, SPLOSH, BOOM, BOOM BOOOOOM!

*End of recovered post*

Blitz it is then...

10-06-2005 22:06

Posted by:
DanLurie

Mark's actually been in my trunk the past two years and I faked all the posts about 1.3.

Sorry.

10-07-2005 10:43

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Pshaw. He'll be along right shortly... right... Mark? ... Mark?

10-07-2005 14:12

Posted by:
DanLurie

I keep Mark next to Marin Saric.

10-08-2005 09:47

Posted by:
Jae Rune

So YOU'RE the one who delayed Full Metal X! Or... Full X Metal... ... Anyhow, METAL native to OS X. Pssh! I kill you now. *stab*

10-09-2005 18:41

Posted by:
Mark Tully

TNT Basic 1.3 is code complete - I'm in the process of assembling the distribution and it should be uploaded soon!

Honest!

Mark

10-09-2005 23:43

Posted by:
DanLurie

(tranquilizer dart)
(drag Mark back to the trunk)
Nothing to see here! Move along!

10-13-2005 15:52

Posted by:
DanLurie

quote:
So YOU'RE the one who delayed Full Metal X! Or... Full X Metal... ... Anyhow, METAL native to OS X. Pssh! I kill you now. *stab*

Full Metal Jacket?

10-15-2005 22:10

Posted by:
matteo

D. Lurie the basic killer.

Blitzmax developement aint moving much either lately... when it eventually dies we know who to blame

10-16-2005 00:01

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

Hey why do you blame everything on Mark? Don't you remember that John guy.....

Ok, maybe not....

10-16-2005 03:44

Posted by:
DanLurie

Its actually moving like you wouldn't believe. You will be pleasantly surprised, Matteo.

10-16-2005 15:05

Posted by:
Jae Rune

I seriously look forward to this. I've been wanting to start a project, but I'm wary of starting one with 1.2 just because of Tiger instabilities.

10-17-2005 01:10

Posted by:
DanLurie

@ Jae Rune

Why would you hold up a project over that. 1.3 should be out before you finish the thing...or is your dev machine running Tiger?

10-17-2005 01:32

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Finished!

10-25-2005 06:25

Posted by:
Jae Rune

Ah, sweet! And, yes, my dev machine is running Tiger. So I hadda wait. Now I shall go download and pee myself. PEE MYSELF I SAY!