Tried to buy TNT lately?
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

05-01-2005 09:56

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

"TNT Basic can no longer be purchased from Kagi.com. Please check tntbasic.com for further news. "

Anybody tried to register TNT recently? Kagi are not accepting payments any more, so things are looking a bit grim for the future of this unique bit of Mac kit.

I can understand if Mark can't support the continued development of TNT, but please, allow us to actually use the version that's already there.

Can someone post here and let people know how we can pay for TNT? Is the address still valid, if so I'll send a cheque.

It has been a while now since any real news came out about the future of TNT, and there is a lot of speculation in this forum, so is it about time we got a few answers? There are precious few titles of this kind for the Mac, and it would be a sin to let a product with this much potential go to waste.

05-01-2005 23:29

Posted by:
MapMaker

Click Here to Email MapMaker   Find more posts by MapMaker

quote:
it would be a sin to let a product with this much potential go to waste

Indeed. Mark and John, maybe you should consider selling TNT to an interested developer, or releasing it as open source? If its not selling anything its not exactly much of an asset for you right now anyways...

Just a thought,
MapMaker

05-02-2005 08:13

Posted by:
Jasoco

Click Here to Email Jasoco   Find more posts by Jasoco

TNT Basic is the only ONLY programming language I can learn. When I found it a few years ago, I thought there'd be big things in store. All we got was a lot of promises and now what seems to be abandonment. I paid $25 for this! And now we're stuck with a still slightly buggy application and promises of it being fixed in the next version? Where's Mark's message? Why don't we have closure? Find someone who can take over and fix this program! I am NOT going to buy another BAsIC game builder just because this one is gone. I've spent too much on shareware, most I don't even use. This I do use. And I was hoping to use it for years.

FIND A REPLACEMENT PROGRAMMER!

05-02-2005 08:15

Posted by:
Jasoco

Click Here to Email Jasoco   Find more posts by Jasoco

Also, eventually, this domain will become unowned. If Mark has indeed abandoned us, we'll soon lose the one resource we have left.

I am disappointed indeed. :(

05-02-2005 19:15

Posted by:
Stephen Lund

Click Here to Email Stephen Lund   Find more posts by Stephen Lund

I LOVE TNT, And it whould be Great to have new versions coming out,

05-04-2005 17:12

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

it is indeed a shame that this product seems to have been left to rot in the sun.

i have my doubts that any further progress into tnt basic will ever be made, so those of you still hanging around for updates for 10.3 compatibility, let alone tiger compatibility, would be better off looking at blitzmax if you wish to continue developing projects.

also, would the chap who says TNT is the only language he can learn care to explain why? With the knowledge i picked up using tnt, i have become proficient in C,C++ and java, and converted an entire TNT project (around 12,000 lines of code) to Blitzmax in a weekend.

cheers
charlie

05-04-2005 22:28

Posted by:
DanLurie

Click Here to Email DanLurie   Find more posts by DanLurie

Blitz is considerably easier to deal with than TNT. Also, having real functions is much better than the clunky procedures TNT uses.

05-04-2005 23:01

Posted by:
charlie

not to mention faster, and with the 2d engine using openGL it makes rotation, scaling and various different blend modes actually usable in a game, rather than being confined to simple graphics demos

cheers
charlie

05-07-2005 22:59

Posted by:
puffin

Click Here to Email puffin   Find more posts by puffin

open source

tnt basic NEEDS to be realesed as open source. post haste!!!

i'd really really like to diddle with it, maybe make some adjustments and inprovements.

dynamic memory, real functions, classes, maybe templates or some built in ADT's for ease of use, pointers and references, inheritance.

come on, open source!!!

05-08-2005 22:04

Posted by:
charlie

but isn't that missing the point of tnt somewhat?

i see it as a non daunting introduction to programming, with a feature set designed to teach you the basics, whilst not bothering you with the nitty gritty stuff you get with c++. pointers, templates and classes are great and i love the idea behind object orientated programming but if i were a beginner, id be much more interested in seeing results than to worry if my memory allocation might cause a system crash or my class object has a memory leak causing my game to grind to a halt, nobody who is learning needs to have to worry about that.

if tnt does go open source, great, but it needs to stay on track and stay focused on what it actually was made to do. there are plenty of other languages out there for people confortable with coding but tnt is here as a beginners guide

cheers
charlie

05-09-2005 20:18

Posted by:
puffin

true... but
pointers aren't that bad, and they allow you to do things that i've seen many people on these forums wanting to do, such as "returning" multiple variables.

classes give an easy conceptual model for wrighting games. it's a good fit.

dynamic memory would allow someone to resize an array, somthing i've found myself wanting to do in tnt.

templates... like i said, that was a maybe, but adding some built in ATD's could be helpfull. like if someone wants to make a cardgame, use a built in stack.

a beginner could just plod along blissfully unaware of these features, but if they find themselves needing them they're there. tnt has been a great stepping stone into programming for me, and i'd love to add features to it to make it an even better stepping stone.

that said i agree. i think the continued development of should have this philosophy: "add the new features you want, but do it in such a way that it's harder to wander into the pitfalls that you wandered in so much when learning."

05-11-2005 12:57

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Go Charlie!

Well said... TNT's advantage is that it allows you to concentrate on the gameplay and not get bogged down in the code. If you want pointers, multiple inheritance and recursive functionality, download XCode and use Objective C. You'll get all that with knobs on... but try writing something in 60 minutes ;)

TNT could use more features, but this is not the thread to be requesting them in. I posted here about the state of the project 'as is', and whether it becomes open source, or remains a closed development with additional people on board, TNTBasic needs to live on.

05-12-2005 02:25

Posted by:
DanLurie

TNT has gone the way of Metal I think. I will look back on it fondly, but I think it is pretty much dead.

05-12-2005 05:05

Posted by:
puffin

in any event, i'd like to see tnt go open source, if for no other reason then to have an example of writing a scripting engine and parseing and sumsuch.

05-16-2005 03:44

Posted by:
matteo

Click Here to Email matteo   Find more posts by matteo

I bought Blitzmax, and though it has some stuff TNT doesnt, such as window mode, cross compatibility, speed, object orientation, there are quite a bit of features that max doesnt have: ability to import many kinds of sounds-music-image types, friendly resources loader, map editor. TNT was great ;(

05-16-2005 09:41

Posted by:
allnodcoms

TNT was great ;(

...and it will be again, greaterer in fact. Trust me ;)

Watch this space...

05-17-2005 12:02

Posted by:
DanLurie

I'll admit to missing the map editor, although .wav and .ogg are enough for me. Midi in Blitz would be very nice though.

05-19-2005 13:50

Posted by:
someone

Click Here to Email someone   Find more posts by someone

It's been a while since i've been here! TNT seems pretty bad... it's a shame cause it was good and cheap (blitz is much more expensive) now i don't need TNT anymore coz i'm using more advanced languages but i won't forget TNT learnt me the basic concepts- now i could program such kind of software, if anyone's inetersted though, you can e-mail me and i could start making a freeware clone of TNT if enough people are interested (don't expect immediate answer if you e-mail me though i'll be gone for abot a week)

05-28-2005 00:20

Posted by:
Mark Tully

Click Here to Email Mark Tully   Find more posts by Mark Tully

http://www.tntbasic.com/community/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1059