Screen Sizes in Graphics Mode
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

03-16-2005 17:22

Posted by:
John Hughes

Click Here to Email John Hughes   Find more posts by John Hughes

Before I get too far into my project, I've got the graphics mode drawing at 1440*900 - if someone with a smaller screen were to use my game, would this cause problems, or would things simply be scaled? In which case I presume 800*600 is the safest scale to work at.

:) Thanks

John

03-17-2005 13:45

Posted by:
charlie

Click Here to Email charlie   Find more posts by charlie

yes, this would cause problems.

the main reason is imacs/emacs/laptops and some older monitors dont support this resolution. for instance, my imac only goes up to 1024/768.

the other reason you must take into consideration is speed. TNT is VERY slow in higher resolutions when you use images( sprites) or drawing commands compared to other similar takes on basic (such as blitzmax). indeed, if you are thinking of creating something with a large quantity of graphical commands and wish for good performance on lower spec machines then i suggest leaving hardware graphics mode well alone, and optimising any code which uses loops. this makes code very confusing to read and use. the speed issue is what eventually drove me away from tnt, that and the fact that it appears to no longer be supported by its creators. the lack of updates and poor mac os x support (remember tnt was written originally as an os9 app and as such is faster in os9) were also contributary factors. i am using blitzmax now, as i find the performance, speed and range of commands to be far greater than those offered by tnt.

if you have any further questions, please dont hesitate to contact me via email

cheers
charlie

03-17-2005 19:52

Posted by:
John Hughes

Click Here to Email John Hughes   Find more posts by John Hughes

:) Thanks again for a great reply. I will bear this in mind, and see about saving towards BlitzMax.