Feature requests
< Last Thread     Next Thread >
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

09-10-2004 22:00

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

I'm using TNT Basic like crazy lately, so I've thought up some features that would make my life easier (and hopefully help others too).

1 - a duplicate feature when setting up sprite animations. <--I've found a few instances where this would have saved hours.

2 - No more 16MB limit. (paralyzed 2 games already).

3 - The ability to use external files (music, graphics, maps), but not having external files exclusively. I see the use for them, but I like to have the game assets compiled into the game itself.

4 - External map editor. People seem to like the ability to play other user's levels and create their own.

5 - Quicktime movie support would be cool.

6 - parallax scrolling - I just had to mention it.

7 - PC compile - unfortunately most of the people I know use PC.

This is not in any particular order. PC compile would be reallllyyy nice. However, PC people can wait until later to be able to make their own games with TNT,. hehe

09-11-2004 15:06

Posted by:
JAS

Click Here to Email JAS   Find more posts by JAS

A more visual way to assign the center point (where x and y of the sprite is - I forgot what it's called) of a sprite. It's have us do a little less guessing.

11-19-2005 23:12

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

Thankfully with 1.3 now the 16mb limit is gone. Yay!

I also like the QuickTime support. Power Game Factory has this. Their software is mainly for side scrollers though. But QT is a good idea.

Someone made a way to do Parallax.

11-20-2005 00:13

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Feature requests...

OK, one at a time:

1: Once the images are in Hieroglyph you can always change the animation 'strings' programatically. You could set up an array of sprite indices and use this rather than duping images in a bank. But you are right that the sprite editor needs a serious overhaul!

2: Yup it's gone...

3:This is a big problem (as I see it) with TNT, you can create a new resource for example, but only save it to the current project. This is no good for writing a redefined map editor for example as the maps you save can only technically be used in the editor itself... Bit pants. You can define your own file format though. Just a thought!

4: See above. You could always write your own editor and save the map, then open the 'package' and cut and paste the resources to your destination project resource folder. It's a total pain but it should work.

5: QT support would be good, it's not a priority (there are a few things that need doing before this) but it's something that will come.

6: There have been numerous requests for this, and tiles with transparency will come out soon after the OS release, we plan to allow sprites to be used in place of tiles (so give the map editor a sprite bank rather than an image reference). This will go a long way towards solving the parallax issue.

7: Let's wait until the Mac version works... your friends could always buy a Mac in the mean time! (OK it's a planned thing, Mark wants cross platform but due to the way it's written it's a long way off...).

Lastly, it's a 'handle' or 'hotspot' (for the x / y thing) and as long as you keep the sprites the same size you should able to use the 'virtual settings' without a problem. As I said, the whole editor side of TNT needs a revamp, so keep your eyes peeled, updates and add ons will arrive.
'PGF' is a totally different beast to TNT, in TNT you can do whatever you like, but in PGF you are restricted to what the package was designed for. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's a different thing. It also costs... You pay your money and take your choice, and my money is on TNT.

Basically, watch this space.

Danny (nods)

11-25-2005 22:55

Posted by:
Jason Anderson

Click Here to Email Jason Anderson   Find more posts by Jason Anderson

quote:
6: There have been numerous requests for this, and tiles with transparency will come out soon after the OS release, we plan to allow sprites to be used in place of tiles (so give the map editor a sprite bank rather than an image reference). This will go a long way towards solving the parallax issue.
I'm looking forward to this actually. Being able to use a sprite bank instead.

Can someone fix this though:

The image being used as tiles has four tiles. But for some reason the "tiles" window is cutting off the fourth tile (Which as you can see is the selected one). In order to get the tile to show and remove the transparency I have to resize the window which takes forever for one thing the drag box is small. And other, it doesn't resize unless I click in juuuust the right area. And the worst thing is it REVERTS TO ITS ORIGINAL SIZE every time I reactivate the program. (i.e. switch to one app then back to Hieroglyph)

Obviously "H" has a lot of bugs and now that the project is open source, it'll work itself out in time. I can't wait. I just want to bring that bug to your attention.

What I would love to see is a totally revamped interface for Hieroglyph. A more Xcode or RealBasic like GUI. I really hate the tiny little floating tool-windows because I lose them on my huge 20" cluttered screen. When I'm in "TNT Building" mode I have tons of stuff opened. Folders with my project files, Photoshop documents, the help PDF, Safari, everything. It's easy to lose those tiny windows. How about merging them all into one collapsing window. (Like how OmniGraffle does it. There's an idea, work with Omni.)

I also want to be able to reorder the list. Like the list of "objects" and "layers". They can keep their numbers, but at least let me order them. And I want a way to tell what object or polygon is what when I am pointing to them on the map.

Oh, and also the Output Console in TNT needs to remember its position. I hate that it always reopens in the center of the screen overlapping the game window (In window mode) and a bug in TNT prevents me from moving it or bringing the game to the front until the next time I run the game that session.