Patiences
< Last Thread  
Author
Thread        Post A Reply

11-15-2009 15:45

Posted by:
Maxime

Find more posts by Maxime

My app of cards Patiences is on line again, in a slightly more debugged version. The acces was denied some time, but now, you will find it there :

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/maximecv/PatiencesPage.html

You will be able to load :
- the app to play or examine,
- the complete code, if you want to improve, or get some "how to do"...

Anyway, please give me a return... Thanks

11-21-2009 21:53

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Click Here to Email allnodcoms   Find more posts by allnodcoms

Hi Maxime....

Checked out your Patience game, that's some seriously nice code in there! I'm really impressed, it's a great example of what can be done with TNT Basic and a lot of hard work.

I've played around with it for a while and found nothing wrong, everything works as it should. The Drag & Drop (which TNT doesn't provide support for, for those that don't know) is brilliantly done, especially moving multiple cards and destination highlighting... Nice touch! Menus work well, especially as these have been hand coded as well, and the multi-language option is another plus. All in all I'm hard pushed to fault it! A very professional piece of work...

If I must give constructive criticism, the only thing stopping this from being a commercial product are the graphics. The card images are a little small on modern displays and could do with a bit of anti-aliasing to make them easier on the eye. A nice rendered backdrop would improve the overall appearance, and the fonts and colours used for the menus and game names could be bitmapped up to add that little bit of polish. These are just minor niggles though, and don't detract from a very well written piece of code and a very playable set of games.

Nice job, and good to see you back on the boards...

Danny (nod the mod)

11-23-2009 14:32

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences Graph

Thank you so much for you appreciating my job Alinods !
For the graphs, first I am not very artist nor aware of what to do. And what is more, I feel much more interest in making my games run, and it is already so time consuming !
If anybody wants to change my soft interface, I agree, but I will not.
I stopped some time, but now, I am working again on my Curling game. There is a bit more bitmaps in it, but I'm afraid, not enough to have a "modern" look. If it ever works, I will be satisfied.

The games I make, are firstly done for me playing with. My problem is that most of them have been written years ago, in Think C. They still (thank you, Steve) run on Classic (rather slowly and jerkily, and more and more along "improvements" of Classic versions), but if I change my Mac, they will no more at all (no Classic on Intel Mac...). So I try, at my pace, to re-write them, but it is long because the languages and systems are so different ! And TNT be blessed, because I did not find the courage to plunge into XCode and Unix (I tried a little...).
Thanks again

11-23-2009 14:37

Posted by:
Maxime

Please could you tell about it to JHVipond, I answered his question with the new address, but he probably lost hope and does not look that place anymore, in Feedback.
Thanks

11-27-2009 22:58

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Maxime - Directory listing updated...

I've updated the link in the original Directory to point at the new home page for the Patience Download. Thought you'd like to know...

Also, if I get time (a precious commodity these days!), I'll take a look at the graphics for you and let you know how I get on...

'Till next time...

Danny (nod the mod)

11-29-2009 18:09

Posted by:
Maxime

Very kind from you, thanks

11-29-2009 21:35

Posted by:
allnodcoms

You're welcome...

;-)

Danny (nod the mod)

06-02-2012 17:37

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences is back

Hello, from far in the past...
I have finished a new version of Patiences, which now works on Lion, Intel and an enlarged screen (iMac). This makes reading cards a bit more easier. But I can not make very large ones, because some times, the piles are very long downwards and would overshoot the bottom...
I have modified the figures of Queen, King and Jack which are now marked V, D, R in the left top corner, but J, Q, K in the right top corner, for english speaking players.
I have also added a function : when you press 0 (for 10), 1,...9, v, d, r, (or j, q, k) the position of the cards are shown on the board (but only if they are visible or on a foundation). I found this helpful for Patiences with many cards on the board, where you have to find where is that ?/! card which would allow a move.

My app is in fact the code, which does not open with Hieroglyph as there is no Hieroglyph (yet ???), but directly as an application with a double click.
You will find it at http://maximecv.pagesperso-orange.fr/PatiencesPage
Enjoy, even if it is not flashy, noisy and quick action demanding...

06-02-2012 20:02

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

Excellent - works nicely - good job on having a French and English version....

barry

06-03-2012 00:35

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Nice Job Max...

And there will be a new Hieroglyph, Mark and I are working on it at the moment (amongst other things...).

Mark now puts updates on his twitter feed - @tnt_basic - and it's well worth keeping an eye out for the latest gossip. I'm not going to give too much away (I'll leave that for Mark) but this is going to be an interesting year for TNT. With the original creator back on board and in the frame, we have direction again, and with contributions from undoubtedly the greatest (yet most modest and understated) web designers on the planet (that'd be me then!) it's going to look totally groovy as well!

Things are moving at TNT HQ (for the first time in a longtime), and they're moving in the right direction...

Danny (nod the mod)

06-08-2012 21:45

Posted by:
swagIT

Find more posts by swagIT

WooHoo!

06-12-2012 17:04

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences question

About the "improvment" I implemented which consists on showing where the concerned cards are when you press a touch of same value, I ask users with QWERTY keyboard to tell me if this works correctly for J, Q, K ?
It works on my AZERTY keyboard, but I am not to sure if this works on Qwerty...
Just tell me. If not, I can implement a solution where JQK are replaced by +-* of the numbers keyboard, which has the advantage of being same on Qwerty and Azerty and requires less search on the keyboard !
Thanks

06-13-2012 11:47

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Hi Max...

The King works fine (on both 'R' & 'K'), Queen only works with 'D' (but not 'Q') and the Jack works with 'J', but not 'U'...

So the King is English & French, The Queen is French and the Jack is English, a nice mixed bag! Would also be nice if the Ace could be flagged with the 'A' key (as well as the '1').

Danny (nod the mod)

06-13-2012 20:03

Posted by:
Maxime

Modifs

Thanks
Becomes a bit intricate. I think the best and most simple is to use only the numeric keyboard as I said. I just hope it is the same in english and french ! I will try to do that to-morrow...

06-15-2012 08:18

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences loading

Sorry, no FTP access to my site for the moment. I will call later...

06-15-2012 21:31

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences is mod

Ok I have loaded the modification. Now, you mark Jack, Queen, KIng by using the rightest touches of the numeric keyboard : "+", "-" and "*".
(for information, Alinodcoms, in french, the Jack is "Valet", and the letter used was V and not "U", but that is not relevant now).

06-16-2012 13:30

Posted by:
allnodcoms

Sorry Maxime...

Should have known that mate, my bad. Just looked like a 'U' on the card images...

Danny (nod the mod)

06-17-2012 21:26

Posted by:
Maxime

Patiences follow-on

Sorry for the V like U ! It is difficult to draw a V with 5x6 pixels ! I think french people do not even put the question on seing that UV.
Else, I have implemented a new Icon, I will put it on the site... some day.